Using a pony - when/where

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jhelmuth

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
For advanced rec diving... when and where do you use a pony bottle?
I dive solo occassionally (shallow depths above 40fsw) and like to do some diving beyond 60fsw (133fsw max). I'm planning to add a pony as an option to my configuration and use it when solo, or on dives deeper than 60fsw. Any opinions or comments that I should think about ?
(I'm asking the wisemen/women out there from there experience: when does it make sense to use a pony)
Also, if you use one, how do you rig it and why that particular fashion?

jhelmuth:
For advanced rec diving... when and where do you use a pony bottle?
I dive solo occassionally (shallow depths above 40fsw) and like to do some diving beyond 60fsw (133fsw max). I'm planning to add a pony as an option to my configuration and use it when solo, or on dives deeper than 60fsw. Any opinions or comments that I should think about ?
(I'm asking the wisemen/women out there from there experience: when does it make sense to use a pony)
Also, if you use one, how do you rig it and why that particular fashion?
There is so much on this board about ponys and if, when and how you should use one, that you could do a search and spend many hours reading the numerous opinions. I suggest you do this. Then ask any specific questions you want addressed.
Oh, and do a search on solo diving, also.
That should keep you busy for a few years...

I appologize for the post. I'll do a search on pony's and when to use them. I am not looking for opinions or comments on solo dives.

OK Rick, I need help. I searched on "pony when where". the return replies were not what I wanted and were too numerous (message from search also indicated that these words were too common.
Can you suggest a search "phrase" or any assistance to drill down to what I am looking for?

jhelmuth:
OK Rick, I need help. I searched on "pony when where". the return replies were not what I wanted and were too numerous (message from search also indicated that these words were too common.
Can you suggest a search "phrase" or any assistance to drill down to what I am looking for?

Try a search just on pony bottle and go from there perhaps. :wink:

I'm not a solo diver, but if it was me and I were to go solo I wouldn't have anything less then doubles.

padivers,

Thanks, that did help a bit. I will continue to read, but I do not get exactly what I'm looking for. Stand by for more later...

How about using your pony on any dive where you don't feel 100% confident that you could make a safe free ascent to the surface.

From my perspective I doubt that you can really guarantee a safe free ascent on any dive that has taken you remotely close to NDL times. Also how confident are you in your ability to hold your breathe (or more specifically exhaling without inhaling) from whatever depth you are at. From a practical perspective i generally think about using the pony on dives greater than about 12 - 15m (but dependent on the particular dive and the conditions) - I figure that if I've got one I might as well use it. I swap from single and pony to twins for dives around 35m+ (give or take a bit).

BD

Use your pony whenever solo, or buddy dives below 60ft (per IANTD recommendations).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom