Using a Drysuit Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yesterday I was diving on the west coast. We were coming up a small rope using it an ascension line. I was using my computer to guage how quickly we were coming up. Now it is on my left, so dumb question but how am I supposed to vent my bc and my dry suit and hold my computer at the same time? The rope broke at 40 feet and I ascended way quicker than I should and didn't do the safety stop that I should have done. What should I have done? How do you ascend properly, slowly and safely?

Get your computer onto your right wrist so you can see it. Use your left hand for dumping or adding gas.

YEEEEEEHAAAAWWWW!!! Well, it is official! I'm the proud owner of a Poseidon Jetsuit!! Got it for only $142.50

If you get soft sole boots with your suit, Fin keepers will keep things snug for walking around, and will also keep air from accumulating in your boots.

I would have to disagree on using the drysuit for buoyancy control at depth and the BC only at the surface. You will find that your buoyancy will be much easier to control with minimal air on the drysuit. I have never had any issues with venting the drysuit and the BC at the same time, My drysuit dump is on my left arm, as is the dump on my BC, when I raise my arm the air automatically dumps form the drysuit and I just dump the BC as needed.

it's like many things in life i suppose - should you decide to take a course, to read a book, to listen to someone else - you'll end up doing your own thing and finding methods that you are most comfortable with , and likely disregard much of what you were taught, read or told anyway - it's human nature. the PADI dry course indicates to use your drysuit for buoyancy control and your BC at surface or in emergency only. I suppose if a person learned and dove that way - WHEN - not IF your drysuit fails - you'll be able to get yourself positive with your bc. that said - , i dive dry (also being of the if you aint wet you aint diving mentality) for warmth - so often use my bc & my dry to adjust buoyancy - yes - it's task loading - i agree.
as to the manner to approach it....human nature again ? i learned to drive, ride, and many other things on my own, i would'nt DREAM of my daughter(s) learning to drive however without instruction from a professional - hypocritical - i know.
( i DID take a course BTW to learn to dive dry) I wouldnt say though training is the ONLY way to learn - it's an option. obviously a great many have taught themselves and figured it out on their own - and seem to be alive enough to write to us about it here- kudos to you, but i feel that self-learning is the exception - not the rule - especially in life safety devices - and let's face it - for 150$ and 4 hours of your life- you'll learn a hell of an awful lot more than you will in a dozen dives on your own - trying to figure it all out , and get better at something that takes a couple of hours with someone who knows it inside out.
then for you to decide what you chose to ignore or do differently - and ultimately get on with the business of diving !
cheers
marc

Back
Top Bottom