Using a Drysuit Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SpyderTek

Reaction score
Ok, Despite the fact that I have a "If you don't get wet you ain't diving!" :) mentality and I have my heart set on a particular "semi-dry" suit, due to monitary concerns, I may be getting my hands on a dry suit before the semi-dry suit (Go figure. hehehe)

So I have a bunch of questions.

1) Can anyone recomend litterature or other source material in proper use of a dry suit? (Yes I know the best option is to take a class but I can't afford that right now)

2) If getting your feet over your head is such a danger with Dry Suit use. (Seems most use ankle weights when using a drysuit) Then why don't they put a dump valve in the boot?

3) How much gas can I expect to lose from my supply in proper use of the drysuit?

I think that covers a good start to my questions.

Thanks

SpyderTek

1. at least any agencies book on drysuit diving that they have for the specialty course. But, like you said, you should get instruction. not just on how to dive one, but on how to care for it too... those zippers and seals are pretty expensive to replace. and a drysuit course costs $100-$150... if you can afford a drysuit, you should be able to afford that.

2. Yes, you can start accending, have no way to dump the air, and progress into an uncontrolled assent (inverted polaris style). No dump valve in the foot, because how would you walk or put you fin on if you had one there?

3. There are different ways to dive a drysuit. some do not use their BC's, but rather control bouyancy by adding and letting out air from the drysuit. I personaly don't like this, because you get alot of air sloshing around in your suit pulling you over and upside down and all around... I prefer to put the suit on and burp it (get all the excess air out) and then only add air on decent as needed to alleviate squeeze (and let me tell you... drysuit squeeze is NO fun for a guy...) the first way won't use any more air than your BC would... volume is volume, doesn't matter where it is. the second way uses a minimal ammount of air, a small burst now and again.

Hope it helps, but seriously, at least dive with some people who can give you pointers on it first if you're not going to take a class (which is pretty much all a class is anyway...)

Ask an accomplished drysuit diver to work with you in
a controlled area (pool, shallow OW, etc.) for a few dives
before you try any "real" dives.

You will not likely find a set of ankle weights heavy
enough to offset too much gas in the foot pocket. The
ankle weights are to assist in TRIM. An additional
danger to too-much-gas in the feet is the foot pocket
can expand and literally blow your fin off. There are some
products available that tighten the foot pocket up a bit.

There is a dry-suit manufacturer that makes a suit with OP
valve near the feet.

You can also try "gaiters".

You are right on when you figure that drysuit diving is the way to go in less-than-tropical climes. We basically have two suits: a tropical wetsuit and a DUI trilam. That's it. AAMOF the drysuit will be in the Red Sea again in about 2 weeks time.

Meanwhile, you can read all you want, but nothing, I repeat NOTHING replaces competent instruction by someone who is certified to teach the specialty. This is not only from an issue of proper technique, but also for safety: a drysuit is NOT a passive piece of equipment you just put on and use like a pair of fins.

Case in point: 3 weekends ago we were doing the open water portion of an IDC at Cypress Springs. Diving dry, of course.

Out of the corner of my eye I notice a man & a woman in new drysuits. I didn't think much of it until I saw the woman wind up totally inverted without a clue of how to right herself. She was thrashing around, struggling wildly until her bud righted her. Fortunately, this was only in about 10' of water. Can you imagine what would have happened in deeper water?

I later found out that they were "test driving" the suits from a local dive shop. Obviously without having been taught HOW to use the suits safely & effectively.

Very, very scarey.

~SubMariner~

Forget about the Idea that if your not wet you're not diving,cause you will get a little damp diving in a dry suit.I have been diving in a dry suit for six years now with no formal training.I have not had any trouble converting from a wet suit to a dry suit.The best advice anyone can give you is go slow building your experience and you'll be fine. Good Luck Stay Dry Stay Warm Have Fun Be SAFE

Get the book, Dry Suit Diving (3rd Edition ). This book has just about everything you need to know about dry suit diving. This is not to say that you don’t have to take a dry suit specialty class ( Because you do !) However this book is a great source of information. It covers everything from choosing your dry suit, types of materials, types of valves, how to put it on, dive with it, maintain it, accessories and so on. It is available for purchase online at Amazon.com Barnes&Noble.com or HammerHead Press.

Dive Safe……………………….Arduous

I read the book "Dry suit diving" already mentioned. I went to the Scubapark, very shallow, and carefully burped as much air as I could from the suit, lowered myself into the water, and swam on the surface to a platform with an upline. I used the upline for safety and experimented with getting upside down and righting myself, which is quite easy. You simply flip yourself back upright. After a while, I cautiously started swimming around until I felt about as comfortable as I was going to feel on a first dive. It has taken about 20 dives to really get the feeling of where the airbubble is and how to manage it. I do recommend minimal air in the suit and using the BC for bouancy as always. Just enough to prevent the squeeze, which is very painful and will leave welts on your legs. Doesn't take much to get rid of it, though, a couple of 1 second bursts every so often.

I don't believe you use any more air at all in a drysuit unless you are constantly adding and venting air.

Since I didn't take a course, I can't tell you what the value is. I do know that you will require practice to get truly comfortable, but can assure you that it's worth it because you really can stay much warmer. I've dived in 38 degree water with mine and wasn't uncomfortable--try that in a wetsuit.

Actually, for my type diving, year round, a drysuit isn't an option, it's a necessity.

Dave

Important note:
Only use your BC to establish positive buoyancy at the surface. Do not use your BC for buoyancy control at depth ! Only your dry suit should be used for buoyancy control at depth ! Take a dry suit specialty course this is the type of information you will learn. Not just how to but why you must ! It could save your life.
Please dive safely ………………….Arduous

I never took the class either

I did get the book dry suit diving that a few people have mentioned.

I learned by doing. I practiced in the pool for a weekend then hit the local beach. I stayed shallow, 30 feet, and just dove my butt off. At first i was frustrated, but each consecutive dive i begain to get a little better. I was pretty good after about 15 to 20 dives. its all about practice. The more you dive dry the better you will get. I only dive dry even though i live in southern california. I like the comfort of dry suit diving. I am now probably around 150 dry suit dives and i love it.

Andy

Arduous,
I have been diving a dry suit for a few years, never took a class. Can you explain to me why you use the drysuit for bouyancy control instead of the BC. I use the dry suit to keep me warm I put enough gas in it to take off the squeeze and provide insulation. I use my BC then to Control my Bouyancy. Tell me what I am doing wrong. I am willing to learn.
A toasty warm
Friggincold

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom