User regulator advice for new OW divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cbbr

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
My 15yo recently got his OW and I have had mine for years, but never really used it. I went on a refresher dive when he was certified, so we are both really brand new divers. We live in La. and will probably spend most of our diving time in Fla., so no very cold water. we are both going to take a Nitrox class (I like the safety margin) but neither of us will be diving below regular rec limits any time soon. Neither of us have any health issues at all.

We rented ScubaPro MK11's with nondescript ScubaPro 2nds for our OW/refresher and they were fine (fresh water, 30- 40ft @ Vortex Springs dives)

With that backdrop, I am looking for a couple of reg sets that I can learn to service. I am very "handy" (built everything from rock crawlers to electronics), so service kit & manual availability is important to me.

I would like to buy used to save some money if possible. I have found almost everything else either used (wetsuits, fins, masks, etc.) or at very steep discounts new (BC's) and want to stay on that roll with regs.

Last edited:
. . .

With that backdrop, I am looking for a couple of reg sets that I can learn to service. I am very "handy" (built everything from rock crawlers to electronics), so service kit & manual availability is important to me.

. . .

HOG (of course). D1 Classics (cold water first plus second) can still be had for ~ $200. Get your Nitrox certification through TDI and you'll satisfy the certification requirements for service training.

call Cave Adventurers and see what they can do for a couple of single tank packages for you. Hog is really your only option for new DIY-service regulators that aren't stupid expensive. Poseidon is the same, but requires some good technique, and Hog is the only one that has classes open to the public. If you go that route, you have to have at least one "technical certification" to take the class, so if you're taking Nitrox, do it through TDI so it counts for that.

$180 gets you a first and second stage from hog with the D1 and Classic, and they are good regulators.

Welcome to the board.
I will go on a slightly different tac, there are a couple of older but very good regulators that you might want to consider that are perfect for what you are wanting to do. Consider finding a Scubapro MK-5 with a 109 primary and a 108 octo or a USD/Aqualung Conshelf, pref with metal second stages. Both of these regs are common on ebay and can easily hold their own with the newer regs. Parts are easy to find and there are a bunch of guys in the DIY section of this board who are more than willing to help you understand how to service the regs. Like any other used item you do need to learn what to look for and what versions of the reg to avoid but with the right versions you will have easy to service, solid reliable regulators that will last as long as you care to use them. Also if you are doing self servicing, there is no reason you can't mix and match first and seconds as you like. If I had to choose one reg to use from now own, it would be a Conshelf first with a SP 109 second stage.

HOG is a good option if you are willing to go with new regulators. The parts and documentation are reasonably available for now. Their tech cert requirement for training is just stupid and makes little sense when they sell parts regardless.

But if you are looking for used, and there are great savings opportunities with used regulators, this is a good source for manuals: www.frogkick.dk - /library/. Parts can get trickier. If you know any divers in Europe, they are available there because consumer protection laws require they sell parts. In the US, it is hard to find an authorized dealer who will sell parts, but not impossible. You can find many parts on ebay. You can also check with VDH (Shop Online). They sell aftermarket kits for more common brands.

Good Luck.

I don't think it's their requirement for the tech cert, I think it's TDI's requirement, will ask Brian or Jack next time I talk to them, but I think it was a TDI requirement....

Thanks All for the advice and links - I have been lurking for a while and suspected that the HOG's were probably my best answer, but its always better to ask and get a few options. .

Herman is of the vintage regulator crowd, which is spectacular. Most of my regs are old, but not quite as hold as his, one from the 50's, but most from the late 80's, early 90's, Poseidon Jetstreams. I do have a couple of new Hogs, but they were basically given to me. There is nothing wrong with finding vintage gear and servicing it yourself, but if the new stuff gives you some warm fuzzy feelings then stick with that and check your craigslist ads for some old gear to bring back to life. It is very rewarding.

Oh, and on the new regulator front, if you're buying Hogs make sure they are the environmentally sealed ones. It's not just for the cold, if you're diving in murky water or salt water, the regulator will thank you.

Servicing your old regs is fine, but be sure that you do it from manuals and are very very careful. There are some parts on some regs that can look like "they go here" but can be put in upside down which can result in, for example, the reg failing closed at 60 ft.

It is a tdi requirement that was written into the standards at the request of HOG. It was written in to have some measure of control over the person's who would be taking the course as well as the instructors who would be teaching it. The tech cert was one way and the justification was that someone perusing a tech cert is likely to be more than just a vacation diver who should not be tearing their regs apart. There are exceptions for those who hold other reg tech certs, those who may not be divers but service gear for police, fire, military, etc dive teams, etc. Those of us who teach the class have some leeway. There are also some recreational courses that qualify. Ice is an overhead. It qualifies. Cavern, with a technical nitrox cert. No computer nitrox classes. The tdi nitrox qualifies for both. SDI computer nitrox class I don't accept. It's why even though I can teach it I won't. There are only around 40 of us last I heard that can teach it through tdi. Worldwide.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom