User Interface

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dirkhh

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I did my first couple of short dives in a pool today - just to get the hang of the computer and its setup before the first boat dive next week in Japan.

I love the computer, the display, the visualization of tank pressure, most everything that I've tried.

But I have to say, the user interface is horrid - especially numerical data entry. There are so many great ways to visualize and implement the input of numbers with the two sliders and this gorgeous display. The weird "numerical keyboard" that you navigate around, delete and then add digits, must be about the worst way to do it, though.

Look at any iPhone (or Android phone) app. Have the appropriate number of digits. Horizontal slider picks the digits, vertical slider picks the number. Easy, obvious, painless.

Please, uemis, this should be a really simple and straight forward change in the software and the improvement to usability would be tremendous. As someone who usually dives rental tanks and switches between places with AL, LP and HP tanks of different sizes I will frequently be changing the gas data. It would be nice to be able to store a couple of default cylinders to easily switch between (like an AL80, LP95, HP100). But even without this, at least a decent input UI would make me a much happier customer.

On an unrelated note, I had the 'ok/exit' button get stuck a couple of times. I don't know if I just pressed it in a strange angle - but since I need to be able to operate this with thick gloves (or dry gloves) I was kind of surprised by this. I'll monitor this for a while and if it continues to be an issue I'll talk to DRIS to find out if this may be specific to the computer that I have...

I must say I find the opposite, the interface while basic is very easy and fast to use.

I alter between twin 12L tanks, single 12L's, twin 12L's + 7L deco tank, twins 15L's a 12L stage and a 7L deco tank.

All relatively quickly and easily, no great drama once you're used to it and far more intuitive than a lot of computers out there.

This is based on using mine for over 100 dives now, both recreational and technical deco dives.

I must say I find the opposite, the interface while basic is very easy and fast to use.

I alter between twin 12L tanks, single 12L's, twin 12L's + 7L deco tank, twins 15L's a 12L stage and a 7L deco tank.

All relatively quickly and easily, no great drama once you're used to it and far more intuitive than a lot of computers out there.

This is based on using mine for over 100 dives now, both recreational and technical deco dives.
Hey, always happy to learn something new - there must be something you are doing differently if you find this "very easy and fast to use".

So how do you switch between tanks? You go into the gas setup and then... what? I seem to have to change the tank volume and operating pressure. And for that I need to click through three levels of menus and then finally arrive at this strange numerical keypad where I first need to delete the existing digits and then navigate to the different numbers and confirm them individually with OK and then leave that entry menu with a long press on OK (which turns into Exit).

Now if this process is what you call "very easy and fast to use" - then we just have to agree to disagree. But I hope that maybe you found a better way to do this and I'm just missing it.

Hey, always happy to learn something new - there must be something you are doing differently if you find this "very easy and fast to use".

I'm going to agree completely. The interface is so cumbersome that I have stopped entering any user data to my dives.
In addition, every time I try to add a new dive site name/ location, ALL my dives are changed to that location. Not very user friendly...

Back
Top Bottom