User changeable o-rings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As you see from this nice video, changing the O-ring on the male threaded end of the hose (first stage) is very easy.
But, as said, this is static and usually has never problems...
Instead changing the O-ring at the second-stage end of the hose is much more tricky, and requires to have proper tools.
But this is a dynamic O-ring, so it must be mounted perfectly clean and properly lubricated. And, being dynamic, it is much more prone to failure than the first one.
In conclusion, in my "save a dive" bag I carry a spare hose, not the O-rings. If the O-ring at the second stage side of an hose fails, on the boat I simply change the hose, and I will take care of replacing the O-ring where back on the ground.
Fiddling with that tricky O-ring replacement on a boat rolling on rough sea can be really nauseating, and the risk to loose your tiny O-ring is large.
Finally, I had more often a hose failure (due to mishandling of the tank with the reg mounted) than an O-ring failure.

Do you carry 4 hoses? One of each?

In the video, it is clearly mentioned to lube the threads, not the o-ring. Here I read several replies stating lube the o-ring. In a different thread I saw someone saying "don't lube the thread". Is there a consensus on this?

As per my previous posts, I've been lightly lubing hose o rings first stage side too for over 15 years, never an issue. Do or don't, neither will hurt. I do it so it doesn't catch, stretch or tear, although the O ring is static in that application it does turn when attaching hose. You'll not die either way.

In the video, it is clearly mentioned to lube the threads, not the o-ring. Here I read several replies stating lube the o-ring. In a different thread I saw someone saying "don't lube the thread". Is there a consensus on this?
Not everybody thinks that Alec Peirce knows what he is talking about. On some things, he is quite wrong.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom