User adjustments of 2nd stages

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Storker

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
close to a Hell which occasionally freezes over
# of dives
100 - 199
Until now, I haven't really been thinking about the adjustment knobs on my regs, as long as they breathe OK (and they generally do, I use Apeks XTXs, and if they start acting up, it happens around the time for a service anyway). I've been following one of my favorite principles: if it works, don't fix it.

However, having some free time on my hands I re-read the manual. And I started thinking about the fact that my primary 2nd stage has two adjustment knobs/levers: Venturi adjustment and breathing resistance adjustment (my secondary only has venturi adjustment, and it's set at minimum venturi assistance to reduce the risk of annoying freeflows). Generally, I keep the venturi adjustment knob at maximum venturi assist and the breathing resistance knob at minumum resistance, since I want my reg to breathe as easy as possible, and keeping it in my mouth provides enough backpressure to avoid freeflowing. It has a tendency to freeflow if I take it out, but as long as it works as it should when I've got the mouthpiece in my mouth I see no reason to spit out my reg when I'm in the water...

So, are anybody actually using the adjustment knobs on their regs? Is there any reason for changing the practice I'm following? And, if so, which of the knobs is there any reason to fiddle with?

so the venturi is just a lever, so that one is perfectly fine to use whenever you want, I keep them on + in my mouth, and - when out of my mouth. As for the adjustment knobs, you're actually changing the spring pressure when you adjust them, your XTX40 has one too it just requires an allen key :)
With the knob most people say that when all the way out they are supposed to just leak a little bit of air and then you turn it back until it stops in the water. Most people I know leave them alone and once set the way they want them don't adjust them at all. I never do with mine...

your XTX40 has one too it just requires an allen key :)
I know :) I've taken out my allen key a couple of times to re-adjust the spring pressure on the octo onsite if it was freeflowing or otherwise misbehaving. When that has happened, it has anyway been around the time for a service, so no big deal (my LDS likes to adjust the regs he services to be really easily breathing...)

Anyway, thanks for the input.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom