USELESS GADGET: Where can I get one ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shark_tamer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Yeap,

This gadget is completly useless ... but I would really like to buy a couple !!! :D

Getting ready for a dive last year, this guy pulls out his gear and he had a similar gadget attached to his reg.

But the one he had read

REMOVE BEFORE DIVING​

:coffee: Anybody knows who sells this ????

Attachments

• Remove_before_flight.pdf
    47.5 KB · Views: 194
In the case of the diver it was likely a plastic tab designed to keep the 2nd stage valve in the open position by holding the inhalation diaphragm depressed.

Is that like the tag on the baby stroller that says "Remove Baby Before Folding" ...

:confused:

Yeap,

This gadget is completly useless ... but I would really like to buy a couple !!! :D

Getting ready for a dive last year, this guy pulls out his gear and he had a similar gadget attached to his reg.

But the one he had read

REMOVE BEFORE DIVING

:coffee: Anybody knows who sells this ????
That would work well on a snorkel

:wink:

You know this gets into a srnsitive area, and that's getting it right every time. This is when if you effup, someone dies. So in the military, you see a lot of "Remove Before <insert evolution>".
There are applications in the 1st Civ Div as well, especially when there are a number of pre-dive steps to be taken. Watch an underwater photographer jump through the humps or a rebreather diver. Mess up and you flood a $10,000 rig or priceless lungs.
So this guy with the tag on his octo - well that's kinda funny... but start combining camera/hunting/rebreather diving and trying not to hold up the launch queue on the boat, and you can begin maybe to see some potential for totally avoidable disaster.
I read somewhere the story of a boatload of tech guys all racing to be first off the boat on a 200' dive. Problem was, the guy who won took a shortcut by not turning on his gas and the number of successful descent did not equal the number of successful ascents. Big oops there.

Looks a whole lot like the tag that was attached to the pitot tube cover of one of my UH-1's that I flew in the Sunny South Eastern War Games way back when.

If you didn't take the cover off the pitot tube, your airspeed indicator wouldn't work.

the K-iller Spade 13

This is a flag to mark that the pitot tube on an aircraft is plugged. Probably to keep dirt daubers from building in the tube while the aircraft is idle. You can get one by doing a Google search on any number of private pilot supply companies.

Translated version of http://www.divedelight.com/goods/alt_gegen_neu.html

click on More Goods...

anhaenger%20divedelight.jpg

Tom,

You're soooo right. Down at Ft. Rucker, Alabama many, many years ago there was always a problem with "dirt daubers". Any place they could find to build a mud nest in a pre-constructed hole was a divine haven for them. Any time a pitot tube cover was left off for any extended period of time, guess what got built inside ?????

the K-iller Spade 13

I'm an expert on dirt daubers. My tractor has nests in every available hole. I am a master at cleaning out dirt dauber nests.

Tom,

You're soooo right. Down at Ft. Rucker, Alabama many, many years ago there was always a problem with "dirt daubers". Any place they could find to build a mud nest in a pre-constructed hole was a divine haven for them. Any time a pitot tube cover was left off for any extended period of time, guess what got built inside ?????

the K-iller Spade 13

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom