Used Sea & Sea vs. new Olympus Tough w/PT-048

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dunx

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've got a fun dilemna that I've been obsessing over:
either buy a used (but great condition) Sea & Sea DX-1200HD package with TWO S&S YS-17 strobes for $600 CND.
OR pay a few hundred more and get a brand new Olympus Tough w/PT-048 housing and buy a entry level strobe like the Intova SS4000 or Oly UFL-1.
(for either of these setups I would be buying a wide angle lens)

Here are some points that I'm thinking about:
-I don't actually need 2 strobes - I want to use my iTorch Pro Video light on the 2nd arm for fill/video.
- I've read some pretty bad things about the DX-1200HD...BUT have also seen some good pics/video results online.
- I'm fully aware that the DX1200HD camera will break in 2 seconds if i start using it for any topside shooting - I saw the construction of it and it's pretty flimsy, whereas the oly tough would be a decent topside snapshot camera.
- I like the fact that the Olympus housing has more options in terms of additional lenses (wide angle etc.) because of it's 46mm threading.

Any suggestions / Insights would be appreciated!:blinking:

opinion.png

Since you asked.

The Olympus Tough cameras have no manual mode settings, no custom white balance setting and no RAW capability. I consider it a poor choice for an underwater camera.

The DX-1200HD does have custom white balance but I don't know if it has manual mode settings (Av, Tv and M). If it doesn't, then it is also a poor choice.

Consider the Canon G12, Olmypus XZ-1 and Panasonic Lumix LX-5 (the latter of which does not have a same-brand housing). These are quality cameras with all the features needed for quality underwater photos.

Well I have a biased opinion, I love my Olympus, even given all that Gilligan said, which is quite true. I have learned to trick the auto settings to get the exposure I want. The white balance software seems to get me close to where I want to be on white balance. I also have skipped the external strobe in favor of simplicity. I also like the out of the water capabilities, it's small, it's waterproof and it fits nicely in a pocket.

Now all this is just my opinion, YMMV. A couple of example from a recent trip to the Bahamas.

BonaireTalk
BonaireTalk

Well I have a biased opinion, I love my Olympus, even given all that Gilligan said, which is quite true. I have learned to trick the auto settings to get the exposure I want. The white balance software seems to get me close to where I want to be on white balance. I also have skipped the external strobe in favor of simplicity. I also like the out of the water capabilities, it's small, it's waterproof and it fits nicely in a pocket.

You can always add a Magic Filter to the Oly housing as they now have external threaded ones.

Neither system option has manual controls or RAW format. In the 600$ range, I would gravitate towards a Canon S95 w/ OEM housing. It has RAW, full manual controls, 720p video, and accepts a range of wide / macro wet lenses. Great system to learn with but at the same time grow with you, as you progress through the hobby.

Canon PowerShot S95 Digital Camera 4343B001 B&H Photo Video
Canon WP-DC38 Case for Canon PowerShot S95 4712B001 B&H Photo

The ikelite housing "more durable, made in USA": Ikelite 6242.95 Ultra Compact Housing f/ Can 6242.95 B&H Photo but of course more expensive:wink:

I agree with Gilligan. Get the G-12.

Stay away from the UFL-1. I had nothing but problems. Get the Sea & Sea strobe

Thanks for all the insights - I think not having manual white balance puts the Oly out of the running. Being from a film background, I also like the fact that the Canon s95 shoots 24p video - some might see that as "missing frames" but I see it as "actual" film-look! I'm starting to think that I might even bypass the strobe altogether and invest in an L&M Sola1200 and concentrate more on getting some good video, and RAW-editable stills as well. I'm using a GoPro for video right now but I hate not being able to white balance....and I've tried many filters but you just don't get the same look.
Anyways - I'm rambling. thanks for the opinions...

I've had two Sea & Sea UW setups, 8000G and currently have DX-2G with YS-110A strobe with built in focus lite and a wide angle lens. Both have been good cameras. The DX-2G has a lot of custom settings on it but it's probably about $1,000 bucks for camera/housing unless you can find a used one.

The DX-1200HD, from what I could tell, does not have manual modes and almost looks like it only has Sea & Sea mode which I do NOT recommend. I have that mode on my camera and it was terrible, photos did not turn out well. Instead I have 3 custom settings buttons I can load and save different settings depending on what I'm shooting. I like my strobe but I was actually thinking about adding another one or now thinking about adding a torch. If you could find a DX-2G closer to your price range I highly recommend it; multiple focus modes, raw, manual shooting modes, custom settings buttons, white balance, video, etc...

Photo I took with DX-2G in the Maldives last month
cove.jpg

Attachments

• MaldivesROMS.jpg
    MaldivesROMS.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 220
Last edited:
I'm using a GoPro for video right now but I hate not being able to white balance....and I've tried many filters but you just don't get the same look.

Remember to take into the fact that the GoPro has an ultra wide FOV. In order to achieve anywhere even near that with a P&S, you'll need a wide angle lens.

If your main focus will be video, a dedicated system is more suited to the job. Many P&S systems do not have continuous auto focus, manual white balance, or zoom while recording.

Remember to take into the fact that the GoPro has an ultra wide FOV. In order to achieve anywhere even near that with a P&S, you'll need a wide angle lens.

If your main focus will be video, a dedicated system is more suited to the job. Many P&S systems do not have continuous auto focus, manual white balance, or zoom while recording.

Thanks - yeah I definitely plan on getting a wide lens. Certainly a dedicated video system would be ideal at some point, but I'm in the market for a decent topside p&s anyways so i'm trying to balance all that into one purchase. Seen some HD footage from the s95 with no lighting or filters, just at-depth white balancing and it looks pretty good.
So far the idea of an S95 in an Ikelite housing with either the Ike wide or Fantasea BigEye (any feedback on that lens?) is winning the race. The Inon micro-fisheye looks really interesting too.

Back
Top Bottom