Used Rental Equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kmj

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
A dive shop is selling a used rental gear package and I would like a second opinion.

$450
Scubapro Pilot BCD
Scubapro Mk2/R190 Regulator
Scubapro R190 Octopus
Scubapro 2 Gauge Console
Aluminum 80 CUFT Tank

I will be taking a scientific diving course in British Columbia and then using the equipment for three months (will be in the water every day) in the tropics for research. What are your thoughts?

The tank adds no immediate value to me as both places I am going will provide tanks. As a student, I am trying to do this as cheaply as possible.

A dive shop is selling a used rental gear package and I would like a second opinion.

$450
Scubapro Pilot BCD
Scubapro Mk2/R190 Regulator
Scubapro R190 Octopus
Scubapro 2 Gauge Console
Aluminum 80 CUFT Tank

I will be taking a scientific diving course in British Columbia and then using the equipment for three months (will be in the water every day) in the tropics for research. What are your thoughts?

The tank adds no immediate value to me as both places I am going will provide tanks. As a student, I am trying to do this as cheaply as possible.

Bought my first reg right after getting certified (2002). It was from Ebay and a couple of years old. Service the equipment yearly and you should be good. I still use that regulator to teach with.

Tim

Typical used prices on eBay are as follows:

Scubapro Pilot BCD $100
Scubapro Mk2/R190 Regulator $150
Scubapro R190 Octopus $ 50
Scubapro 2 Gauge Console $ 50
Aluminum 80 CUFT Tank $ 80 Assuming current vintage and not pre 1990.

I would say the $450 price is in line with what's out there on eBay. I would hope that the gear you buy from them will have been fully serviced and ready to dive which can't be assumed with eBay gear. The tank can always be sold on Craigslist or eBay to recoup some cash.

You may be able to find cheaper stuff, but that cheaper stuff will need service before you dive it. That will end up costing you the same or more. Scubapro gear is very durable and service will not be a problem if something goes wrong with your gear while you're away.

Good basic set up, at what seems like a reasonable price.

The first stage and second stage/octo are older models, but generally reliable. Does the price include a fresh overhaul of all three? That would be my only concern, since as a research diver regular maintenance of diver-furnished equipment is usually required by the institution's diving program (plus it makes sense).

It would be good to start with a newly overhauled/serviced regulator. I have purchased used bc's on the provisio that after I inflate them, they hold air for at least 24 hours. Not the best test of reiiablity, but a good one.

Check to see if the "tropical" location can service ScubaPro - it's likely they can since organizations like AAUS have them as a preferred vendor but you may want to check. My guess is if something is going to break/go out of adjustment, it would be during that 3month timeframe.

Thank you everyone for the great advice! One of my concerns is how much I will end up spending on this gear to keep it regularly serviced since (I'm assuming) none of it will be under warranty. Any thoughts?

None of it is under warranty since ScubaPro warranties are non-transferable. MK2's have a one year/100 dive service interval. However it's possible they can go longer since they're pretty bulletproof and reliable - classic downstream technology.

Hard to say on the cost since prices may be different in Canada. Scubatoys in Dallas starts at $60+parts for the 1st/2nd/Octo. They'll also service the gauge o-rings/spool. Scuba Regulator Repair - Scuba Annual Service I believe you'll find prices higher at your local ScubaPro dealer. Here's what I pay locally: El Mar Diving Center, Your Arizona Scuba Diving Center - Equipment Service

Unless you're going to dive locally, I'd sell the tank. It also needs to be visually inspected yearly and hydro tested every 5 years. Plus if you're traveling to dive, you can't easily fly with it, the valve has to be removed for inspection if it goes thru any U.S. airport - I'm guessing Canada has the same restriction. Then you have to pay to have it inspected before being filled again typically..

I would suggest you offer $350 without the tank...it has no real use to you and the gear comes with a fresh service. At that price and in that condition you are getting a fair deal, good solid basic equipment and it will keep most of it's resale value. The MK-2 is not the highest performing reg but there is good reason that the second reg SP ever produced is still being sold today...with the same service kits.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom