used reg question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ironcat

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I just bought a used reg from a friend. He claims that it was his primary reg up through summer of 05, but it had been in storage since he had gotten a new one.
I figured I should do the responsible thing and have my gear serviced before I tried using it to keep me alive and took it to a dive shop and they claimed that it was too old to service, they could get the parts but servicing the reg would be like 150 bucks.

The purge cap says "Sherwood 2000" on it and I have not taken it apart to see anything inside cuz I didn't want to screw it up messing with what I didn't know.

I have tried it above water and it breathes fine, the mouthpiece is comfortable, etc, etc, and if I can get by with servicing, it would be a lot cheaper than buying a new reg.

Can anyone tell me anything about this reg?

It's old (20 plus years) but the service parts are around and not very expensive. If new hoses and mouthpieces are needed it can run the tab up quite a bit.

I would get a new reg if the budget allows.

Most Sherwood regs are still supported for parts and kits do not cost very much like stated before the only time it would get expensive is if things inside the first stage was needed example in sherwood the piston or moving orrifice, as well as general things like exhaust diagrahms,hoses etc.

What I suggest is have them draft up an estimate with what is all needed etc. Just so you know what is getting replaced and what service is going to cost you.

Just a thought

:cheers: DS tank wipe, that is the perfect avatar.

ironcat, I would just get a new one if they are going to charge that much.

The Sherwood regs are workhorses and last forever. But with a model that old it might not be worth it. There's a few good used Sherwood sets on Ebay right now (less than 2-3 years old) going for less than $150.00

Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom