Used Dry Suits in Seattle Area?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sea nmf

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Does anyone have a good resource for used dry suits in the Seattle area?

Question is, do you really want one? What I mean is when you get a used dry suit, you're pretty much buying someone's "leaker". If you're cold and money is a problem, check out some semi-dry suits, which are basically wet suits with seals, and again, don't get one that someone has already peed in. If you really want to check out used dry suits, try Discount Divers down near Fremont.
http://www.discountdivers.com/

I'm not bitter about my not-so-drysuit experience which just happened to involve the LDS mentioned above... I'll just say that I have had a learning experience. If you are short on cash buy a new low-end suit. You can get a USIA or Appolo or OS or Mobby's or BARE for <$800 (some with undergarmet too) & It won't be a cadilac, but it will be dry and it should fit you relatively well which is probably more than you can say for a used suit. Depending on how much you dive you could get years out of it. If you know other divers that are upgrading suits you might find a worthwhile bargain. Several shops are vying for your summer diving dollars with their "tent sales" this month. It might be worth your time (& $$) to check them out.

Anyway... save your self some time & trouble & $$ & get a new one.

Only the BOOTS smell G-Man :mean: or maybe it's the MEK & drysuit glue that I've been sniffing all week.

-kate <--running home to glue on seals

There is a sale in your neck of the woods this weekend (July 21, 22) at the Lighthouse Diving store on Lake City Way. They advertised a suit for less than $500 .. new!

Just my $.02

Ray

In my oponion I would stay away from used dry suits and the "cheepie" ones. You get what you pay for, and that is the bottom line. I purchased my first dry suit for $1000.00 and it included a bag and undergarment....it lasted 6 months. The dive rating on the suit was very low. Look at it in $$ over the course of 5 years. In that time frame I would have purchased 4 suits ($4000.00) or id I bought a Diving Concepts custom suit loaded with options ($2500.00). This is the most common mistake of the buyer and where most people exploit it when the sell to them. As a dive store owner I want to sell you gear. Do I sell you 3 cheep dry suits and make xxx or do I sell you 1 suit and make a lot less, but I have gained your trust and hopefully become a loyal customer.

good luck on what it is you decide to do, but rember if it sounds toooooo good it probably is.

Chris

I don't necessarily agree that you have to shell out over 2k for a suit that will last more than 6 months. I bought the "low end" dry suit, an O'Neil neoprene, 4 years ago and it's still going strong after over 200 dives with it. I got it on sale for under $700, including the hood. It was my first and so far only dry suit.

Greg

Originally posted by Diver806
In my oponion I would stay away from used dry suits and the "cheepie" ones. You get what you pay for, and that is the bottom line. I purchased my first dry suit for $1000.00 and it included a bag and undergarment....it lasted 6
months.

Chris

Hi Greg, like I said, it depends more on how much you dive. That's one year's worth of diving for me at my current rate. I don't want to loose any more brain cells to nasty solvents & glue; yesterday I ordered myself a moderately priced custom suit. I expect that it will last me at least two years. If I could afford the top of line right now I would definately buy it, but I think that I have struck the right combination of price, quality, durability, service & availability with the suit that I've chosen.

-kate

Kate,

I agree with you it depends on how much and what type of diving you do. I log over 300 dives a year and a fair amount on deeper technical dives. A inexpensive suit for my would be a bad investment and the glue can knock out a few brain cells. I didn't mean to blast any suit, sorry Grge, i should have been more specific in my reply. It depends on what type of diving and how much.

Great purchase on your dry suit....you need to come by and see my little hole in the wall in Kenmore, WA. Don O said to give you a shout.....so HEY KATE!

Chris

Don O, Don O, Don O? Is he like Don Pardo? :). I don't think that I know a Don O... I hate to admit it Chris, but I haven't been to your shop. Now I think that I have my old drysuit fixed except for the right latex sock, I need to attach it one more time. I guess I could use my regulator & mask while I'm working on it :). I just have to make it last another month.

So are you having a tent sale this month too Chris? I'm new to diving this year & am experiencing the first summer of what seems like shop wars.

-kate

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom