Use of Short HP hose for SM & Stages

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jon-sidemount-uw.jpg

See the pressure gauges (on the floor)?

if you pull too hard on the hose during an OOA scenario, the hose can crimp itself off impeding airflow. Particularly problematic with the braided hoses.

Regarding cave caterpillars, that is a function of poor setup. Your body should hit the ground before the tanks ever do, and the tanks should hit before the pressure gauges do. See Jeff's left gauge for why it's bad and how it can happen.
tec-rec-sidemount.jpg

Kens examples are good as well and all stem from improper tank positioning. This is easily remedied, but of concern nonetheless

Last edited:
Personally, I don't care about the fin colors. He's an instructor, many DM's and instructors use different colored fins so they can be quickly identifiable in a group.

My fins have unique markings too.

12742714_10208403920116323_4783834909300506026_n.jpg

nice! no offense on the fin color. I just thought it was funny. I know I need to line up an instructor at some point. I travel a lot for work, so I end up with time on my hands to read up on things of interest to me. I appreciate you guys that are willing to share your knowledge!

if you aren't planning on going through sidemount only passages you only need a good mentor if you want to expedite the learning process, otherwise you can get away with a buddy with a gopro to analyze and suggestions from people that have found out likely the hard way how to fix it. check out @kr2y5's thread about tank positioning. lots of goodies in there

Thanks for the link! I also picked up the "Sidemount Profiles" book. I like the book. My only complaint is that many of the pictures are so small its pretty hard to see some of the important details on how the gear is rigged.

Another question is on mounting the 1st stages on top or bottom. Having then ride below the valve seems to contribute to the dragging issue. Seems like they might ride in a more elevated angle on either of my 1st stage options.

yeah that book is mostly useless unfortunately. A lot has changed since it was written.

Riding below the valve is only a problem if they are rigged improperly.
13096111_10156864321285134_7510261410885794731_n.jpg

Poseidon 3720 first stages, lollipop SPG's, PST HP120's. First dive on the Hollis Katana. Date stamp is a bit in the way of the SPG's, but they are up in the arm pit where they should be. I was trying to arrest an ascent with a big inhale since I was testing the wing capacity so pardon the apparent beer gut. Was a touch overweighted for that dive.... woops. Anyway, if I had put the first stages up, it would be impossible to lollipop the SPG's and I would be restricted in how I could route my long hose. Either way you can see that even if I was exhaling, the chest is much lower than the tanks and first stages and the spg is actually bent down a little bit by my arm. This is what happens where your tanks are in the right position as opposed to the PADI promo picture above, any of the Razor pictures with the continuous bungee, etc etc.

The key is to use loop bungees, and have the length set so the tank valve is halfway between your spine and sternum, is parallel to your spine, and the center of the tank goes right down the center of your leg.
13124457_10156864321125134_3138471002081582156_n.jpg

You can't get that positioning with any type of bungee other than a loop.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom