Use of Camera Exposure Metering when shooting with camera and Strobes in Manual Mode

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BoltSnap

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Is there a reason to worry about what type of exposure metering in the camera is set for when you are using the camera on manual (one sets the aperture and shutter himself) with strobes set on manual also?

Does it matter when using TTL for the strobes?

(Of course I am talking about when taking pics U/W)

Once you fix the shutter speed, aperture and ISO and the strobe is in manual you determine the exposure with aperture and strobe manual setting controlling the foreground and shutter speed taking care of background
The metering mode will however give you different results if you do a half press the exposure itself will not change of course but it depends on how and if you use that information for anything, you could for example use it to control the exposure of the background
If you set the strobe to TTL the strobe will control the foreground with TTL and your manual settings the background
It is fairly complicated to explain on a forum!!!

Once you fix the shutter speed, aperture and ISO and the strobe is in manual you determine the exposure with aperture and strobe manual setting controlling the foreground and shutter speed taking care of background
The metering mode will however give you different results if you do a half press the exposure itself will not change of course but it depends on how and if you use that information for anything, you could for example use it to control the exposure of the background
If you set the strobe to TTL the strobe will control the foreground with TTL and your manual settings the background
It is fairly complicated to explain on a forum!!!

So in itself, the exposure metering type selected (spot, CW, etc.) won't change or affect anything in the picture since all variables are on manual and are controlled by the user but it can give information to the user to help him set these controls.

In the TTL case, are you saying it is the same as in full manual setting?

Yes the metering mode will influence the reading when you half press but won't actually affect the picture itself, basically only gives you information

No if you use TTL the strobe will take care of the foreground and will be started stopped by the camera, if you use the flash in manual the camera will only tell the strobe to fire but the intensity will be regulated on the strobe itself. Depending on what strobe you have you should set the manual setting according to the aperture of the camera and distance

In TTL, would the exposure metering method and information from it have direct effect and control of the function of the start/stop of the strobe?

(Thank you for your patience with me on this matter).

This is a very complex subject as the features of camera TTL systems are not well documented
What camera have you got? We can guess from there and if you want you can run some tests

This camera has multifocus ares so in theory it could make a difference to TTL however sometimes the TTL flash only operate in centered weighted mode
I guess you can try the same shot with the two modes and see if there is a difference
if you focus on a single point most times TTL systems operate anyway in centered weighted average around the target
I guess you do not have separate metering controls for TTL?

Silly question. Many times when I try to put the meter reader at zero I have to slow down the shutter speed way too slow. Am i doing something wrong because it really never works out. Strobes are in ttl.
thnx in advance

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom