US Virgin Islands Trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Drgnfiend

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
First post on the board here and I'm looking for some help from those more experienced than I. This November I will be making my first trip to the Caribbean to do some diving. I'm looking for any insight or suggestions from those of you that have been down that way to make my trip as good as possible. I'll be staying in St. Thomas and there for a full week. Any information that y'all can give me would be greatly appreciated.

I was in USVI back in May. I've only been there once, so I don't qualify as an expert, but...

On St Thomas I would recomend Chris Sawyer Dive Shop. I did my AOW through them while I was there, they do a great job. Also, if you have the time I would suggest a dive on the Rhone. Its a wreck in the BVI, but Chris Sawyer runs trips out to it. That is one excellent wreck dive.

I would suggest NOT renting a car. The roads down there are hilly, windy, and they use US cars, but drive on the oposite side of the road. It was much easier to take cabs wherever I went. Not sure what else I can add, except be prepared with bug spray. I got eaten alive by something down there.

I too have used C. Sawyer and was very happy......one didnt feel that way.

Take the ferry over to St. John and rent a car....it is 90% preserved as a national park.....just beautiful.

Thanks for the information, I've emailed C.Sawyer and already gotten a response back so I'm sure my friends and I will use them for several of our dives. Good suggestion on visiting St. Johns, we do have a couple non-divers on the trip with us so I know we plan on having one full day of doing the touristy thing w/no diving.

When I got a response back from C.Sawyer they mentioned the Rhone dive. Unfortunately they only do it on Fridays and I'm there on a Saturday to Saturday stay. If the dive is over early enough in the day I can make the 24 hour wait time before my flight, if not I may have to bypass the Rhone this time.

The Rhone dive does take a bit longer than your average morning boat trip. I believe it got back to the dock at about 3PM. Still that would be out of the water by 2. I usually use 18 hours as my no-fly interval, so you may still get the chance.

If you can do it, it is well worth it. The Rhone is an awsome dive.

Second the reccommendation of Chris Sawyer. I would also not miss the Rhone because of the interval. 18 hours should be plenty.

if they're going to schedule it one day a week I wonder why they don't do Wed or Thurs - seeing as alot of people fly Sat-Sat. Maybe it's a day they don't get cruise ships or something?

If youre doing the Rhone....remember to waterproof pack your PASSPORT !! You will be going into Brit territory to do the Rhone...and they check.

RICHinNC:
If youre doing the Rhone....remember to waterproof pack your PASSPORT !! You will be going into Brit territory to do the Rhone...and they check.

Really? We were just there in September, didn't have to show our passports. We were diving with Blue Water Divers. Ken was great, he gave us a terrific history lesson on the Rhone during our surface interval.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom