US divers: have you bought a UK drysuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

raviepoo

Contributor
Reaction score
in exile in the Pennsyltucky Archipellago
# of dives
500 - 999
:froggy:

While searching for drysuit information on the web I've found a number of places in the UK that sell what appear to be quality suits at phenomonally low prices.

For example, several models of Otter drysuit (neoprene or trilaminate) complete with valves and undergarment can be purchased made to measure for anywhere between 600$ and $1000 US. I've only read good things about these suits.

Simplyscuba.com offers a number of different brands of suits for $500 to $800. Undergarments are extra. These prices include the 17% value added tax wich is deducted for customers outside th EU.

These prices are blowing my mind. Even with the variable of import duty, buying direct from a source in the UK is looking much more attractive to me than spending $1200 - $2000 for a drysuit at my local dive shop. Is this a hallucination? Are these shoddy goods? Are drysuits simply cheaper in the UK or do UK manufacturers offer a wider range of options because the entire country is drysuit territory?

Have anyone US citizens ever bought a UK drysuit directly off of the Internet or through mail order? If so, what has your experience been? What pitfalls are out there? Any problems with customs? What kind of duty did you pay?

With airfares from NYC to London being so cheap right now I'm actually considering flying across the pond to demo a few suits before placing an order. Do you UK divers know of shops that allow you demo a drysuit before buying it?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

We, over the pond, wouldn't put up with poor quality any more than you would. I would think it is cheaper here just because 95% of UK divers ( made up statistic:) ) use a dry suit.

Most of the shops will have some demo equipment available. I would say a few emails are in order.

What I bought was a Zeagle trilaminate suit - made by Otter. I did not buy it over the internet or mail, though. I was lucky to be an off the rack size have been happy with it. Maybe next time I would be willing to invest more, but it was a great deal.

I just received my Northern Diver CNX custom suit. Northern Diver is located in the UK, but I went through Bob3 (member of Scubaboard) to get an incredible price. I sent Bob my measurements and my new suit fits like a glove. I basically paid half of what I would have paid for a comparable suit made in the US. I needed fully custom cut suit and custom 200wt undergarment - which can get pretty expensive. The quality of the suit is outstanding, with a few "extras" not found on many suits like neoprene neck and wrist protectors over the latex seals. If you need a custom suit, this is definately the way to go. And going through Bob3 will save you the airfare! Let me know if you have any other questions and good luck!

Todd

I too, am looking at purchasing a Nothern Diver custom cut suit from Bob3.

The prices on everything in the U.K. and Europe are cheaper with regards to scuba goods. I think it has something to do with the distribution to the U.S.

I would happily buy a dry suit online from the U.K. or anywhere else-I have bought most of my equipment from DiveInn in Spain and they are fantastic.

It is hard to beat Bob3's price on custom made suit, though. I wish I didn't have to go custom, it is more expensive, but there is no better price than Bob3's on a high quality suit like the Nothern Diver CNX200.

I have used an otter suit for the last 6 years. Was very pleased with the first suit. When it came time for new suit I ordered a second otter. not as pleased with #2, supposedly made from same measurements and material as suit 1 but it doesn't fit as nice and the hood is a bit small, a different not as heavy maerial was used...it took me 4 months to get it after being told it would take 3 weeks. I will probably try something different next year when I get a new suit.
Waterlover

What I've been trying to tell you guys for ages - why do you pay those silly prices for dry suits in the US, it's crazy!! Dry suits are even cheaper in Japan than the US - wish I could say the same about the rest of the gear though...

Try out O Three as well - you can even go in for a fitting if you have time......

Still far cheaper and our VAT (sales tax) is 17.5%. If you buy in the UK you should be able to get that money back as well when you go home......

Jonathan

Originally posted by tbg
I just received my Northern Diver CNX custom suit. Northern Diver is located in the UK, but I went through Bob3 (member of Scubaboard) to get an incredible price. I sent Bob my measurements and my new suit fits like a glove. I basically paid half of what I would have paid for a comparable suit made in the US. I needed fully custom cut suit and custom 200wt undergarment - which can get pretty expensive. The quality of the suit is outstanding, with a few "extras" not found on many suits like neoprene neck and wrist protectors over the latex seals. If you need a custom suit, this is definately the way to go. And going through Bob3 will save you the airfare! Let me know if you have any other questions and good luck!

Todd

Hey Todd
Did you get the Tech model? I love mine! Dry as a bone and warm as toast! I've not had an opportunity to try the dry gloves yet.

The best thing is zero drag. That alone has made swimming much easier! The valves work just right too, dumping air just when they need to.

I'll stick with N-D from now on, tho from what I can tell I wont need to replace mine for a long time to come!

Dive safe
Brock

Brock,

How much weight do you have to use with that model compared to a 3mm jumpsuit?

Originally posted by Okiecaver

Hey Todd
Did you get the Tech model? I love mine! Dry as a bone and warm as toast! I've not had an opportunity to try the dry gloves yet.

The best thing is zero drag. That alone has made swimming much easier! The valves work just right too, dumping air just when they need to.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom