US cell phones in Mexico

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have to agree with those who say leave it alone on vacation.

Every time I have gon to Coz, save one, noone has known how to get in touch with me.

My last trip, I wen't alone and my wife was home pregnant. She knew where I was and I called her while I was there.

IMHO, if the office knows how to get in touch with you, it's not a vacation :D

James

Just a follow up to the GSM question. As I stated in another post here, my wife's Samsung 427 GSM phone wouldn't work (dual band GSM). Here is a link for some pretty good information for Mexico. Go back up a level and you have all the countries that participate in the GSM forum.

http://www.gsmworld.com/roaming/gsminfo/cou_mx.shtml

Mileage may vary, but Cingular tri-mode phones seem to work best.

Jack

-->> Here Ya Go <<--

Helped me get my Verizon phone to work... it's a bit convoluted but the pic is priceless - nice "skins"!

Last Nov. when I got back from Coz my cell phone bill was $675. I had 50 or 60 connections that did not go through during my stay. I was billed for everyone of them at a rate of about $4 total. Cingular would not reduce my bill as it was obvious the call did not go through since there were multipule calls one after another and then finally a connection. The calls were all billed at 1 minute. Cingular said they were not able to and we not repsonsible for calls outside the US. I wont do that again!!......lol

I wouldn't roll over on almost $700 worth of calls that failed. You have no way of knowing ahead of time if the call will succeed or not, and if it fails it's because of the phone system you're on, not because of anything you did wrong.

"Not able to" is BS. All they need to do is move the cursor to the appropriate part of your bill and change the amount to "$0". It's really easy. What they're saying is "They won't".

Call them back and try again, and if it doesn't work, get a lawyer. It probably won't take much more than a letter to get you a refund.

Terry

5615mike:
Last Nov. when I got back from Coz my cell phone bill was $675. I had 50 or 60 connections that did not go through during my stay. I was billed for everyone of them at a rate of about $4 total. Cingular would not reduce my bill as it was obvious the call did not go through since there were multipule calls one after another and then finally a connection. The calls were all billed at 1 minute. Cingular said they were not able to and we not repsonsible for calls outside the US. I wont do that again!!......lol

I'm with WebMonkey. I would still be fighting that one to the death. Zero problems with Cingular in Cancun...I'm not even sure that I was charged for the calls. If you look at the GSM map, you will see coverage is pretty much a straight line between towns. I don't know why it would have continually tried to reconnect though. I hope you get that straightened out.

Jack

If you're planning on ordering-or have available- broadband ethernet in your room, download Skype www.skype.com and sign up for their SkypeOut plan. Call to the US are something like 3 cents/minute from Mexico. You'll need a laptop, and an earphone and mic for the best quality. Works on PCs only, no Mac's.

If the person you're calling has Skype also, the call is FREE.

It's not perfect, but it's darn close. You can't use it on dialup.

I have GSM through AT&T ( now cingular) Out of everyone in our party my phone is the only one that got service in Cozumel.
I just got the bill, and it was a little over $30.00 for 24 min. So, it came to about $1.29/min.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom