Solved: URL Layout - Condensed with thumbnail

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
TheRealScubaSteve

TheRealScubaSteve

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Can someone tell me why these two URLs have a different layout? I'd like to insert a link such as the first but I only ever seem to get a hyperlink to show up.

It's called URL unfurling. If you use a url in your post, the board turns it into a little block like the one in your post.

Little trick on how to prevent that:
  1. paste the url in the text area
  2. remove the https:// part at the beginning of the url
  3. select the whole url and add a hyperlink to it, using the chain icon in the toolbar .
Or, use the ICODE tags around the url. The icon in the toolbar for that is this one: >_

Thanks, @Miyaru. To be clear, How can I make a url unfurl? It seems that most of the time I post something it only shows the hyperlink. Is it dependent on some type of media or photo in the link? I can't seem to figure it out.

It's done automatically by the software this board is running on. For example, when you link to a youtube video, that link is changed into a player field. Use Preview in the toolbar to see what your post will look like once posted, and click Preview again to go back to editing.

This is why the second URL does not "unfurl":

1647616389204.png

URLs with any form of "access control" will not unfurl. The same thing happens to links to posts in the Instructor to Instructor or Captain to Captain forums. Click here for more information.

I see, I wonder if my ad blocker is blocking some of those elements so that I don't see popups such as that. I was trying a bunch of random news articles in the testing forum and could not get a single one to unfurl.

I was in the Pub and it seemed like everyone else got them to unfurl so I wasn't sure if I was not doing something right. I just like that it has the thumbnail in it so you can see a bit of content before clicking.

Got to love technology. Thanks for the replies @Akimbo and @Miyaru.

I see, I wonder if my ad blocker is blocking some of those elements so that I don't see popups such as that.

I run ad blocker as well. I'm "guessing" you got the same pop-up at at some point and dismissed it because I was able to see the article second time I tried. It could also be that the site implemented the pop-up sometime after you were recognized as a regular reader.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom