Urgent question about cleaning regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gee13

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi Guys

Im fairly new to the sport, actually got certified PADI OW today yay! I was cleaning my reg second stage, which is a Oceanic DVT GT3, and my occie Alpha8 and they were soaking in a shallow tub and i was hosing them down briefly and accidentally for a moment hit purge buttons on the 2 regs. Instict to open valve and clean inside. Then I read that that should be avoided! I asked a few experts and they way I can attach to cylinder and do an air blast to purge the water from the hose. I will do that tommorow, but I wanted to know if a little water got up the hose would I be in real trouble if I got the air blaster out 18 approx hours after water got in? Would any internal corrosion occur to the first stage meanwhile? Also I hear that DVT helps in that the hose has positive air pressure, which may help. Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks

By opening the purge water can get through the second stage and into the hose. Gravity is your friend if you keep the first stage higher than the second so water will not travel into the first stage.. If you don't have access to an air tank right away unscrew the hose from the first stage. See if any water comes out of the hose. (None may have entered.)

Anyhow, when you can put it on a tank, blow it out by holding the purge open for a few minutes. Any moisture should get dried out. I personally would not worry a lot about corrosion as it was a fresh water rinse.

In the future, if you hit the purge when soaking, only do it if you have it attached to a pressurized tank. I have soaked and purged regs when attached to a small pony bottle.

Thanks james. Is it easy to unscrew hose from first stage? will this affect any warranty as reg is new? also if corrosion is not the main factor if rinsed with fresh water what is the main issue when moisture or water getting into hose or first stage?

If the reg is new take it back to the shop and tell them what you did. My concern if water did get into the first stage that hooking it up to a tank may force some into the spg. If you are not familiar with taking hoses off and replacing them take it back to the dealer. It is very easy to do and is not rocket science. BUt you also stand the chance of overtightening it which will crush the oring. I've also seen regs where, believe it or not, the hoses were rounded off because the owner had a wrench that "was close to the right size" and wondered why we charged him for a new hose! ANd again getting water into the spg is not a good thing. Fresh water may not screw it up right away but if it cannot escape, even fresh water has minerals and salts that COULD affect the operation of the guage.

I think its highly unlikely sufficient water would have passed up into the hose to run all the way up into the first stage if as you mention it was "momentary".

As has been mentioned, just unscrew the hose and check if any water exits, with the hose off, open the demand valve purge button and blow from the hose end to remove any water, hang it up to dry before reassembling by screwing the hose back and tighten up finger tight and another 1/4 or so turn with a spanner. Removing a hose at the first stage is a simple matter and cannot cause any calibration issues, just take your time, use common sense and you will be fine.

If you have a tank remove the HP hose, install the reg and crack the tank open a touch till air is just slowly exiting from the port, watch the HP port to see if water exits,(you could hold a piece of tissue paper over the port to see if it shows moisture) my guess is it wont and you can reinstall everything and go dive, if it dos, you will need to have the reg checked out.

Back
Top Bottom