Urchin?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mntlblok

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
IMG_3475wa.jpg

Ran across this back in April at BHB. Is it a sea urchin of some sort? The symmetry doesn't look right for that, but porcupines usually prefer dry land. Now can't recall the size. Couple of inches?

Kevin

Last edited:
I don't know where BHB is, but the urchin looks like the burrowing heart urchin, echinocardium cordatum.

Thank you! I see now that it's also called a Sea Potato.

Sorry, BHB is the Blue Heron Bridge.

Kevin

I find them at BHB occasionally. They are usually buried so they are hard to spot.
It thought it was called a sand mouse.
Be careful, those spines are sharp and will go through your glove and your hand with very little force.
Bill

I find them at BHB occasionally. They are usually buried so they are hard to spot.
It thought it was called a sand mouse.
Be careful, those spines are sharp and will go through your glove and your hand with very little force.
Bill

I'm too chicken to touch *anything* down there. :D It *does* look much like a computer mouse, doesn't it?

Kevin

I don't reccomend picking up the scorpion fish or petting the stargazers, but I have been known to do it myself.

I have heard lesser electric rays can jump up and zap you before you realize what happened, but they are usually quite shy.

Two things to watch are eel bites and cat bites. Their long teeth are like hypodermic needles and inject bacteria beneath the skin. A casual wash or rinse is not the same as irrigating the punture with iodine. You need to go to the doctor for antibiotics.

The best place to get treated for cat bites is the vet!

Now if you dive in the Pacific, touch nothing! They have stuff that will kill you!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom