Upgrading to a new camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The C-5050 hasn't been made for awhile, but you can buy 3 of them (now, that's backup!) in like-new condition for what a new (but better?) camera costs. Some will see value in either approach. Regarding batteries - it may cost $50 for the branded one, but the re-branded one from the OEM or equivalent is $5. And the charger comes bundled with the camera (and is often lighter and smaller than a good AA charger). I don't know how generalizable this is, but just because the camera takes AA batteries doesn't mean you'll always like the way it performs with NiMH AAs. The SP-350 from what I've experienced and gather, is finicky about NiMH batteries - you wouldn't even get one dive in with a fresh set. I have an A720IS that was the same way - I can get 150 pics, 2/3 with full flash, from 2 alkaline AAs, maybe 10 without flash with NiMH. It must have to do with the voltage trigger for low battery shut-off in the firmware. Canon said only 'their' NiMHs were suitable, for $25 a set. Some cameras will take a CRV3 lithium in place of 2 AAs, and there is a rechargeable option (3X the price, and you need the specialized charger) for those. But if the CRV3 doesn't fit, I think NiMH is the only rechargeable option.

Here is a link to an article you might want to read: Underwater Camera Articles: Review: Best Underwater Point & Shoot Cameras for 2009. It evaluataed point and shoot cameras. There were several categories and a winner for each category. The overall winner was the G10; however, I own the Sea&Sea DX-1G and it was a winner in one of the categories. I like to 1G because it has a macro mode as well as a wide angle lens that can be mounted underwater. So, i can take both wide angle shots and macro shots on the same dive. Sea&Sea is coming out with the 2G that has gotten very good reviews. I'm not sure if the G10 has wet lenses or if you have to mount a lens directly to the camera rather than the housing.

Regards,

Bill

I had to laugh at that article it didn't even bother to evaluate any Fuji or Casio models. Fuji in particular has some very nice compact P&S cameras and housings. I can understand that they may only be looking at those that the manufacturer offers a matched housing which would leave out the casio models but not the Fuji models. Although the G10 and DX-1G are advanced P&S cameras they aren't what I'd call compact and then you need to consider the housing's additional size.

When I upgrade from a Canon A series, it will be to the Canon G10.....

I currently have a nikon coolpix L11 P&S, but I an wanting to upgrade. One of my dive buddies came me a list of things to consider in a new camera and I was wanting to know if any of you had recommendations of camera that fit these criteria.

Full manual controls (shutter speed and f-stop)
flash control in all modes
housing available that will fit a 67mm threaded lense
histrogram
raw is not a must, but a decent add on if I choose to use it
camera specific batteries are a minue, good ole fashion AA's are preferred.
I currently have an AF35 autoflash strobe, so housing that is compatible would be a nice plus.

I do not have a specific budget in mind, but do not want to go crazy expensive.

thanks for any advice

Canon 590IS has more capability than the G10. The G10 requires a high dollar housing to even begin to match the 570/580/590/720 range because they can accept widely available 67mm threaded lenses for macro, wide angle and ultra wide angle and the G10 cannot. The G10 is severely limited as a result.

Y'all try to much to think of a single camera solution, one camera for under water birthdays, dogs, beach, everyday, pocket. That is a bad idea because when the camera is lost/stolen/damaged you are left with a housing and accessories that may not work with other outfits.

Better to get a camera that functions well underwater as a dedicated unit and accepts versatile accessories and then get another different camera for your pocket or other use camera.

N

I will have to disagree with RAWalker in that the DX-1G is a very compact underwater camera with great capabilities. I can't speak to the G10 since I have not seen the camera or the housing. It is true that the DX-1G camera itself may not be the most compact but we were talking about underwater cameras, and the housing with the camera is very compact.

Regards,

Bill

Does it have to be point and shoot?
Do you do a lot of land photography?
While certainly a cost jump a housed SLR may be a better upgrade.
My main gripe with P&S cameras under water is that you can't get the flash far enough away from the camera and wide angle shots suffer from this, with more visible snow and less clarity.
I don't know much about P&S "wide angel close up" capabilities but it is a fun technique with SLRs. I've seen some pretty nice macro shots with P&S but lens quality with SLRs generally is better and can give some nice crisp shots.
There are some nice "lower cost" rigs for SLRs available. Of course the major drawback comes when it is time to upgrade your camera [and by necessity the housing], and this always happens!

Does it have to be point and shoot?
Do you do a lot of land photography?
While certainly a cost jump a housed SLR may be a better upgrade.
My main gripe with P&S cameras under water is that you can't get the flash far enough away from the camera and wide angle shots suffer from this, with more visible snow and less clarity.
I don't know much about P&S "wide angel close up" capabilities but it is a fun technique with SLRs. I've seen some pretty nice macro shots with P&S but lens quality with SLRs generally is better and can give some nice crisp shots.
There are some nice "lower cost" rigs for SLRs available. Of course the major drawback comes when it is time to upgrade your camera [and by necessity the housing], and this always happens!
The only land photography I do is basic stuff - my current camera can handle that.
I do have a strobe, so the issue of the flash should not be a problem (maybe?)
I am not against SLR - although I do not want to spend an arm and a leg.

FWIW the G10 even in the Canon housing will not fit in a bcd pocket. I'm very fortunate and one of my new crew members has this set up. It's very sweet and the images are really crispy. But it's not small and compact :wink:

If you aren't willing to spend a couple arms and a leg or two, don't even go down the SLR path. It's not cheap, it's big and bulky (even the smallest units are, comparatively) and you'll never stop buying more bits. None of these are bad things, they just may be more than you need.

I think the image quality is slightly better from the G10 over the A series. Most people won't notice, honestly. Only those who sit in their windowless basements and pixel peep obsessively are truly likely to care :D

So if size is an issue - head for the A series. If size isn't an issue and you have a few more dollars, I'd probably go the G9 or G10. And I'd go for the Canon housing because the bulk and expense of the other options don't out weigh any benefit that *I* particularly want. Benn using the Canon housings for years with no problems and I love how small they are.

Add-on lenses are something to consider, of course, so have a think about the type of shots you really like, the water you'll be diving in and what kind of images you would like to create.

FWIW the G10 even in the Canon housing will not fit in a bcd pocket. I'm very fortunate and one of my new crew members has this set up. It's very sweet and the images are really crispy. But it's not small and compact :wink:

If you aren't willing to spend a couple arms and a leg or two, don't even go down the SLR path. It's not cheap, it's big and bulky (even the smallest units are, comparatively) and you'll never stop buying more bits. None of these are bad things, they just may be more than you need.

I think the image quality is slightly better from the G10 over the A series. Most people won't notice, honestly. Only those who sit in their windowless basements and pixel peep obsessively are truly likely to care :D

So if size is an issue - head for the A series. If size isn't an issue and you have a few more dollars, I'd probably go the G9 or G10. And I'd go for the Canon housing because the bulk and expense of the other options don't out weigh any benefit that *I* particularly want. Benn using the Canon housings for years with no problems and I love how small they are.

Add-on lenses are something to consider, of course, so have a think about the type of shots you really like, the water you'll be diving in and what kind of images you would like to create.
Size is not an issue, my little coolpix L10 has a huge housing!!!!
I just want something with manual controls (that are easy to control like mentioned in the other post). Most phots will be in NC wreck diving - so I would like to have WA, and in my upcomming trip to Bonaire - macro needed/preferred.

It looks like the G10 does not work with WA lenses, so that rules it out as an option

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom