Upgrading to a new camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scotttyd

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I currently have a nikon coolpix L11 P&S, but I an wanting to upgrade. One of my dive buddies came me a list of things to consider in a new camera and I was wanting to know if any of you had recommendations of camera that fit these criteria.

Full manual controls (shutter speed and f-stop)
flash control in all modes
housing available that will fit a 67mm threaded lense
histrogram
raw is not a must, but a decent add on if I choose to use it
camera specific batteries are a minue, good ole fashion AA's are preferred.
I currently have an AF35 autoflash strobe, so housing that is compatible would be a nice plus.

I do not have a specific budget in mind, but do not want to go crazy expensive.

thanks for any advice

The 67mm threaded port isn't really a necessity since there are port adapters for most other ports.
Camera specific batteries aren't a big deal today either if you purchase an extra cell and the camera has decent battery life to begin with.
For instance my Fuji F50fd comes with a 1000mah NP-50 lithium but I was able to purchase 2 new 1300mah cells for $10.
This battery last long enough for over 60 shots with flash. This is enough to satisfy my needs for a typical 2 tank trip and the saved disposible batteries pay for the rechargeables after just a few trips. And lets not even get into the environmental effect of rechargables vs disposibles. Oh and there is a weight and size difference also.
If my points make sense to you then Fuji F series cameras may satisfy you.
I'm very happy with my Fuji F50fd but they do have other offerings that may meet your other specifications.

From the sample images I have seen and from the comments I have heard from friends who are using it, Canon PowerShot G10 seams to be one of the best deals around right now...

// Magnus;

Oly C-5050 with Ikelite TTL housing! Meets all your criteria I believe, with option of TTL. Or get the Oly housing for less. You'll have to buy outside retail channels however, likely 'used'. But it will cost you 1/3 of a new comparable model. The Oly SP350 almost fits (won't directly mount 67mm lenses), and has more pixels if that's important. Also cheap(er) but not widely available via standard retail channels (which is not to say you can' buy it new)

I second the comment re: batteries. Proprietary batteries are not the pricey garbage they once were. Power consumption and price have both come way down. My Panasonic TZ4 has a battery no bigger than a single AA and will take tons of pics. On the other hand, not all AA cameras do well with NiMH AAs.

I'm using an Olympus 7070 (and I still have my 5050 as backup), but these are "old", buying something today I would recommend something newer...

((-and I agree with the rest, proprietary battery's are no longer an issue. When I'm on live-aboards I charge my 7070 battery every day, but then I also do dives a day :)... ))

// Magnus;

Do they make the oly 5050 anymore, I have heard many people comment about it, but I thought it was a discontinued model.

batteries, I use rechargable AA's in my current set up. I know people who have the camera specific batteries, and have lost them, damaged them and they were out of a camera if they were no longer made, or at least out for the rest of the trip. I just prefer simplicity. I agree with not using non-rechargable as due to the waste.

I think I'd have to agree with the G10. It has every feature you need for UW use and takes pictures that equal any you'll see. (If you doubt this look at "Anilao through my eyes" thread by Ed D_Man just below. Mind you, Ed has taken mind blowing pictures with an old S80 as well, but obviously the camera is up to it. He had an earlier thread, in the Canon section I think, that showed a new adapter for the Canon housing that allows add on lenses. His supermacros are taken with double stacked Inon close-up lenses. There are several housings for the camera that allow add on lenses, but I think the lenses are proprietary. I don't think Ikelite recommends add-ons with theirs due to lens to port distance. As far as batteries, while my old SP-350 will use aa's I've never bothered with them. I keep two of the camera specific batteries charged and swap them if needed. Frankly, one has sat in my duplicate topside camera for months because the LI batteries hold up amazingly well. Three years now on the same two batteries and they're still going strong.

Scotty, I did a quick search this morning after your PM. There seems to be more wide angle and closeup lens available in different attachement sizes so that is not as big an issue as it once was. I do have to dissagree with the rest on the batteries, in that same search most of the batteries I found were in the $50 range and require a special charger. If you keep the camera long (which is only a few years in the electronics world) finding a replacement battery or charger will likely be difficult and near impossible on a trip. IMO you should have at least 3 batteries, one in use, one ready to go and a 3rd charging- at $50 a pop, that's a bunch for batteries. Unless these batteries have gotten a lot better, life expectancy is maybe 3 years. AA's -rechargeables- are still a requirement for my camera.

Scotty, I did a quick search this morning after your PM. There seems to be more wide angle and closeup lens available in different attachement sizes so that is not as big an issue as it once was.

The issue is't so much what is available in general as what lens works with what housing and camera. Some housings don't accept lens. Some cameras have a native lens that doesn't work as well with add-on lens. Whatever you buy make sure you understand how all the pieces work together, camera, hosing & lens, before you purchase.

Here is a link to an article you might want to read: Underwater Camera Articles: Review: Best Underwater Point & Shoot Cameras for 2009. It evaluataed point and shoot cameras. There were several categories and a winner for each category. The overall winner was the G10; however, I own the Sea&Sea DX-1G and it was a winner in one of the categories. I like to 1G because it has a macro mode as well as a wide angle lens that can be mounted underwater. So, i can take both wide angle shots and macro shots on the same dive. Sea&Sea is coming out with the 2G that has gotten very good reviews. I'm not sure if the G10 has wet lenses or if you have to mount a lens directly to the camera rather than the housing.

Regards,

Bill

Back
Top Bottom