Upgrading Strobe/Compatibility

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rand

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have a DC600 with the SL690 strobe. I want to upgrade the strobe and have a couple questions.

1. Will the SL691 strobe work with the DC600?

2. Can I reuse my current flashlink and/or will the one that comes with the SL691 work with the DC600?

3. If I can reuse my current flash link, is this something I can remove and re-install, or do I need to send it in to have it done?

Yes your camera will work with the New SL961 strobe. All attachments that are necessary to make it work are included. If you still have the flashlink adapter that goes ON THE CAMERA, you are good to go just by picking up the strobe.

Joe

Cool. Thanks guys. I'm off to the LDS to pick one up.

Santa upgraded me to the 961 for my DC600, works like a champ. I'm still having some over-exposure when the flash dial is set to auto. The macro mode/macro flash modes set on camera help some but I think I'll have to start playing with the on strobe dial a bit. Other than that the 961 rocks.

Sladerer,

The macro Flash setting on the camera will help with this aas will a diffuser for the flash, SL9618. The other thing to be careful with is where the strobe is facing, especially when using in macro. the sensor needs to be pointed at your subject to set the correct output. If pointed a little urther behind the subject, it might throw out too much light to compensate for the extra depth.

Another trick I have learned and use is to actuall step back to about 10-12 inches from my subject and zoom in. This gives me more control over the flash and better auto adjustment.

Cheers

Joe,
Just picked up a diffuser (nice deal on eBay), hope to be diving Monterey the 13th which should be a good opp for some Macro work and testing the "diffuser is good with lots of stuff in the water" theory. Thanks for the tip.

Back
Top Bottom