Upgrade or a Package

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jgheaton

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a Canon A620 and WP-DC90 housing. I have had good success with photos over the last few years. I have come to the point where I would like to add some strobes to my configuration. In the future I plan to upgrade my camera and housing probably to a G10 and a Patima housing. However first would like to start with the Strobes.

Think I have settled on the Inon S-2000 with a focus light and Fisheye FIX Tray, Ultralight arms and Inon Optical Digital Cable. The setup will run me around $ 1100 but will be able to use most of the components with my potential future camera.

My dilemma is this. Should I follow this route or rather go with a Package like the Sealife DC 1000 Maxx Package.

I understand the strobes are not even comparable, but it would seem that there are benefits to a complete package inclusive of wide angle lens, dual flashes, 10mp camera with underwater correction.

This seems like a great way to experience strobes, wide angle etc all neatly packaged.

Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks
John

This is a tough question so my guess is that in the end you have to make the choice yourself.
Just my thoughts:
The Inon strobe will serve you for many many years. I don't have personal experience with this strobe (I am using the Sea&Sea YS-110), but looking at the specs this is a worthwile investment also for your next camera. It is a S-TTL flash which means that, if your next camera supports it, will make your life easier when using the flash.
Your camera is a few years old but not yet outdated. With 7.1 Megapixels it is more than sufficient to make good quality prints. Combined with a strobe you will get far better color in your pictures than you are currently used to. The DC1000 is a rather new model but is not supporting RAW-mode. Personaly I would go for a camera upgrade that supports RAW-mode because it gives you far more flexibility in editing afterwards.
A wide angle lens is a nice addition. I am using the wide angle lens on almost every dive to take pictures of the reef or my fellow divers. When using the wide angle lens I normally don't use the strobe for two reasons; the wider angle of view is not completely covered by the strobe unless I use the diffuser and the chances of getting unacceptable backscatter is considerably greater. Your current camera and housing doesn't seem to support a wide angle lens because of vignetting that will occur so if you currently have the feeling that you miss a wide angle lens then the DC1000 Maxx will be the better option.

So in conclusion: if you are still happy with your current camera and like shooting macro then I would go for your current setup with the Inon strobe. Gaining experience in working with a strobe puts you in a better position to decide on your later camera upgrade. Two strobes is maybe a little too much coming from no strobe. If you feel that you have outgrown your current camera the Sealife DC1000 Maxx package would be a good choice. I have used the Sealife DC500 with 1 Sealife strobe in the past and were always very pleased with the results. You can re-use the strobes with another camera if you outgrow the DC1000 but they will never match the Inon strobe.

gustele, thanks for the advice, think I will be going with the Inon strobe as I do hope at some stage to upgrade to a Canon G10.

Again thanks
Cheers John

Strobes are your bet upgrade option for now, good choice !

By the time you have squeezed the most out of your current camera with the strobes you may find that want a dSLR anyway.

Thanks to everyone. I decided to go with the YS110a Strobe in place of the S-2000. I am going to use Ultralight components for the arms etc. Based on the cost of the parts for the S-2000 at the end of the day there was only $80 difference between the YS110a and the S-2000. For upgrade it seems the YS110a has a few more options as well as a few more features.

Thanks again, hope to post some shots when I go diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom