Upgrade camera, lights, or both?

What would you upgrade?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bonaireboy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I’m currently using an Akaso V50 wichbis a pretty good GoPro knockoff. Last time I was shooting with it in the water I was only snorkeling down to about 35 or so feet with no filters or lights. I’m going diving in September, and was wondering if it’s worth it to upgrade to a GoPro 9 just for the image stabilization. I’ve also looked at some wide angle flashlights for adding extra lighting. I know the wide angle flashlights aren’t as good as actual video lights, but if we are shooting on <$300 cameras does it really matter? If it were you, would you spend more money for better lights, and keep the older camera, upgrade both within budget, or throw money at a camera? I’m looking at around $500.

At that price point, you are not going to get video lights that are strong enough for anything but macro and close portraits. Unless this is your sole intent, you should be looking for something in the 5000-6000 lumen range at a bare minimum. Even then, don’t expect these to illuminate anything beyond a few feet, depending on water clarity. Some deals can be had on Aliexpress for brands like Scubalamp, Archon, Nitescuba, etc.

I don’t know much about your action camera but I am sure that the stabilization on the GoPro 9 will be far superior. This may be a worthwhile upgrade, particularly if you have trouble keeping a steady hand on your camera.

At that price point, you are not going to get video lights that are strong enough for anything but macro and close portraits. Unless this is your sole intent, you should be looking for something in the 5000-6000 lumen range at a bare minimum. Even then, don’t expect these to illuminate anything beyond a few feet, depending on water clarity. Some deals can be had on Aliexpress for brands like Scubalamp, Archon, Nitescuba, etc.

I don’t know much about your action camera but I am sure that the stabilization on the GoPro 9 will be far superior. This may be a worthwhile upgrade, particularly if you have trouble keeping a steady hand on your camera.
Thanks for the feedback. Is that 5-6k lumens per light or total? Yeah, better stabilization is definitely something that would be nice. Handheld shooting 1080p@60 helped me on the cheap camera to fake it, but I would not mind a little better.

I would recommend a minimum of 5000 lumen per light, unless you are only doing macro in which case 1-2K should be sufficient.

Doesn't matter what your camera is if you haven't got enough light. Go for the lights. If you upgrade the camera later, you'll still need the good lights.

I would recommend a minimum of 5000 lumen per light, unless you are only doing macro in which case 1-2K should be sufficient.
Thanks for that.
Doesn't matter what your camera is if you haven't got enough light. Go for the lights. If you upgrade the camera later, you'll still need the good lights.
Fair enough.

Back
Top Bottom