updside down regulator?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

devilfish:
Doesn't anybody teach anymore how to breathe dry from an upside down regulator? It's a basic skill to know.

Now, now - when I posed a similar question in another thread about people getting basic knowledge in entry level training, it was considered a personal attack.

Oceanic Omegas, Poseidons and a few others breath fine upside down.

The Dacor Viper LOOKS like it should, but I haven't tried it.

Thanks for the explanation Scubtoys. It makes sense. I was just confused, because I go upside down all the time with my reg in my mouth and have never inhaled water.

scubatoys:
Think about the shape and features of a second stage regulator and it should make some sense. The mouthpiece is placed at the top of the reg, the exhaust - near the bottom. That means if water is in it and you hit the purge, or blow into it... the air is filling the regulator and forcing the water out the bottom. If it is upside down in your mouth, as you exhale - the bubbles will simply travel through the water in the reg and escape through the exhaust that is now positioned at the top... and the water will stay there to be swallowed with your next breath.

Really for an easy analogy - it's just like clearing a mask. You hold the mask tight at the top and as you exhale into it, you see the air fill the mask and force the water out the bottom. How good would that work if you exhaled while holding the top open instead?? Not too well!

That is one of the reasons I prefer an octo that does not care about orientation like the Dacor Viper Octopus or one with a swivel like the Aeris Gyro Octopus.

Hope that makes sense!? Kinda' hard to explain without holding it in my hand and showing you what I mean... but hopefully you got it now.

I once saw a diver going down the descent line....breathing from the octopus instead of the primary....and the octopus was upside down....AND, the octopus was still attached to its holder (one of those snorkel keeper straps) so that the diver's head was bent down almost to her chest (since the regulator wouldn't reach up to a "normal" position while still attached to the octopus holder.)

I see a lot of people with standard size octopus hoses on the same side as their main reg. Now if the reg hasnt got a swivel on that means the buddy is likely to get the reg upside down unless you deliberately twist the hose and a lot of upside down regs breathe wet.

A standard hose, non swivel octopus i prefer to see it on my buddys left hand side so its the correct way up for me without twisting.

OK not to sound like too much the Newbie... but, what is the right way to breath from an upside down reg?? I have put my Octo in my mouth upside down a few times got a mouthfull and just coughed it out, turned it over and proceded to breath as normal (BTW the Octo is an Oceanic streamline, and the Reg is Oceanic Delta 3 Don't know if that breaths wet upside down never tried)

wacdiver:
OK not to sound like too much the Newbie... but, what is the right way to breath from an upside down reg?? I have put my Octo in my mouth upside down a few times got a mouthfull and just coughed it out, turned it over and proceded to breath as normal (BTW the Octo is an Oceanic streamline, and the Reg is Oceanic Delta 3 Don't know if that breaths wet upside down never tried)

Turn it over.

wacdiver:
OK not to sound like too much the Newbie... but, what is the right way to breath from an upside down reg??

Carefully and slowly. Then turn it over.

Neil

wacdiver:

Put your chin to your chest so that the diaphram is at the low point of pressure, clear the reg, take a gentle breath and turn the reg around.

devilfish:
Put your chin to your chest so that the diaphram is at the low point of pressure, clear the reg, take a gentle breath and turn the reg around.

Thank you, that was the info I was looking for.
I know I need to turn it over
I was just curious as to the steps prior to that.

wacdiver:
Thank you, that was the info I was looking for.
I know I need to turn it over
I was just curious as to the steps prior to that.
See what happens--you get the answers to questions you don't even ask!

And you get gear advice to boot!

I remember the same thing happening to someone in my 1st open water class (in the pool) We had a discussion about it and it didn't happen again. (Everyone practiced above surface before proceeding).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom