updates - REEF, oceanwatch, and SRI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CBulla

~..facebook conch..~
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
Well, if ya'll haven't figured out by now I like to keep busy. Part of my keeping busy seems to be being the the point guy for civic or charity projects. I'm also a stickler for information, the more people have the better, and if your like me, finding out something 2 weeks before its going to happen can be a real PITA!!! So here goes, the latest scoop on things.

REEF ID - already has its own thread, no worries there. I can't say I'm surprised by the interest as we have an incredible group of people on this board!

OceanWatch - Aside from the weight update for the pier, approx 3309#, I was informed that we helped make this years clean up the MOST successful ever with trash totaling over 8300# this year by 900 volunteers! Everyone who participated on Pompano Beach pier will be recieving an award of recognition for their efforts. If you did not fill out the paperwork for the clean up (for whatever reason) and you were there, please contact me so I can have your name added. We have something to be proud of considering we hauled in 1/3 of the total weight from one location alone! :)

Shark Research Institute - OK.. I know this is more or less my own little project I'm spear heading, but I'm keeping everyone else up on it to. At current, the boat is safe at Novafury's house. Like I said, its a little rough looking, but serviceable. The good news is Thomas with SRI contacted me yesterday and informed me that we have a MOTOR for the boat now. To me, this is great news!! So I guess its my turn to uphold my end of things and do a fund raiser or two for getting some minor fiberglass repair done, buffed and cleaned up on deck, and outfitting the boat with the basics such as life jackets, radios, anchor and line, GPS or loran, depthfinder, etc., so that this little research boat can get onto the water and be put to use! If your interested in helping with this project or donating, please contact me via PM or email! This is a group that has volunteer opportunities for anyone interested in learning about sharks and shark behavior. :)

If you know of an upcoming coastal clean up or other water function for divers in your area, please contact me, I'd like to calendar all these projects (especially if they are annual) around the state on the ConchDivers website.

Colin You Rock!

I'm up for that shark research C....just let me get my sea hand again (sea legs are fine lol)

Scubaguy62:
I'm up for that shark research C....just let me get my sea hand again (sea legs are fine lol)

Yeah, maybe we can help those guys distinguish between sharks and dolphins!

GrierHPharmD:
Yeah, maybe we can help those guys distinguish between sharks and dolphins!

To the non-internet suave, that could have been easily anyone's mistake. Personally, I've never seen a shark with a curved fin and flat tail, but thats just me :D

Scubaguy62:

Great. We need some fresh bait, we were running out of "volunteers" to tow behind the boat. :D

Marc

I think that's the kind of shark that got that guy on the helicopter.

Diving with sharks isnt so bad. Just keep a visual on them and watch for their warning signs.

Chewing on your leg in blood-filled seas is usually a bad sign...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom