Update on the Priest Lake incident.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's gotta be tough working for a sheriff like that... hopefully it isnt to many years before elections..just can see leaving one of our own behind if you are pretty sure you're on him, sounds like a cluster**** to me.

gregoire:
It's gotta be tough working for a sheriff like that... hopefully it isnt to many years before elections..just can see leaving one of our own behind if you are pretty sure you're on him, sounds like a cluster**** to me.
The Sheriff up there is fine. It's the Coroner flexing her stuff. I just heard last night that the Sheriff has quit.

The ROV should be up there today sometime.

Gary D.

ok I ,geuss I misread your earlier post I thought the sheriff was the problem.

Remember earlier when I said I was hoping it was the right body we were looking for. I wasn’t joking as we have found the wrong body in the past.

I just got a call from up north and they used the ROV when conditions improved.

Wrong body. Yup, it might be one of the missing 5 but it isn’t our firemen.

The state of decomposition was such that the ROV was only able to retrieve a sample. Now the DNA testing starts.

Nothing is simple in this business.

Gary D.

How many hits did you get with the SS? do you have other possible areas to search with the ROV? I feel for the family in this kind of situation. Last year we seached for a full month for two victims and had no luck, it was almost three months later when the lake warmed up did they finnaly float. But in this situation the family can't just wait for him to come up.

gregoire:
How many hits did you get with the SS? do you have other possible areas to search with the ROV? I feel for the family in this kind of situation. Last year we seached for a full month for two victims and had no luck, it was almost three months later when the lake warmed up did they finnaly float. But in this situation the family can't just wait for him to come up.
Only three targets with the SS in a weeks worth of searching. Two boats and a body. Ooops and a bucket. Priest is a very clean lake but a big one at 23,700 acres.

The boat was adrift for around 2 days befor he was noticed missing so it's anybodys guess.

Up here if they are 40' or deeper if we don't get them they stay.

I sure feel for two families now.

Gary D.

that’s horrible, i hope this is the right one.

I found this on the Prehospital Perspective website under the In Memoriam section; I assume this is the firefighter everyone has been talking about:

DAVID LEWIS – PARAMEDIC / FIREFIGHTER
The members of the Kennewick Fire Department and his family are mourning the loss of Paramedic/Firefighter David Lewis. Mr. Lewis is presumed dead as a result of drowning in a sailing accident on Idaho’s Priest Lake this past July. Paramedic/Firefighter Lewis was a 24-year veteran with the department. He was 53 years old.

Mr. Lewis was a native of the Tri-City area, and graduated from Kennewick High School, as well as the Columbia Basin College. A talented musician of long standing, Mr. Lewis had been in several bands over the years, including McKenna, 4PM, Tickle Pink and Savoir-Faire. He was most recently affiliated with the First Baptist Church Praise Team Band in Richland (WA). It was his passion, however, to serve his community as a firefighter and paramedic. Mr. Lewis had been a full-time firefighter for over 24 years and had spent 15 years of that time as a Paramedic. He was a member of the International Association of Firefighters, Local # 1926.

Mr. Lewis leaves his wife, Sharon, and their son and daughter, as well as his parents and several siblings and their families. A memorial service was held Sunday, August 15th at the First Baptist Church of Richland, 1107 Wright Ave. In lieu of flowers, the family requests donations be made to the Matt and Jodi Lewis College Fund at Washington Mutual Bank, Vista Way; Kennewick, WA.

==============================
It is sad to lose anyone, but to lose a fellow public safety worker is especially hard. If anyone feels that this is inappropriate, please take it down. I don't mean to spread unnecessary information....I just felt that perhaps some of us might consider taking up a collection to donate to the family. That is why I posted this...so that anyone interested in contributing has the contact information.

-Steve

Your post is fine and welcomed. As long as it is public knowledge go ahead. Thanks for the info. I have kind of isolated myself from the personal info but it's nice to see now.

That is one of the reasons we are going the extra mile in the search. The problem is Priest Lake is 23,700 acres and we have no last seen point. That is a big deep body of water for a crap shoot.

Gene and Sandy are up there and at it again.

Gary D.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom