Upcoming trip plan, for review please...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks Avadon! It seems that you are with most and suggest the zoo and tubing. We are considering hitting them both on the way north after Placencia before Belize City.

Has anyone had any experience with the forest cabanas at the zoo? Good/bad? The Belize Zoo - The Zoo OR would anyone suggest a different place in the area? If we were to stay in the zoo area would a bus be our best option?

Sorry for all the questions...

It looks as though we will be arriving in Placencia (on the 12th) after sailing down with raggamuffin. No diving but it sounds as though they stop often to snorkle. I would rather book our whale shark dive in advance but want to make sure we arrive in town on the right day.

We stayed at the zoo (Tropical Ed Center) in 2003, long enough ago I don't know how similar your experience might be. We loved the surroundings and the rustic rooms; the bathrooms and kitchen were a bit icky. We'd arranged and confirmed dinner and breakfast but were told on arrival there wasn't a group there so they wouldn't be cooking. With no car and no restaurants or stores close we would have been stuck if we hadn't packed dehydrated meals intended for later in the trip (they let us use the kitchen). We splurged a bit and took a taxi there from the airport - family of 5 at the end of 25+ hours of getting there. If you took a bus you might have trouble figuring out where to be dropped - not clearly marked and a bit before the zoo on the other side of the road; the cabins are a hike in. If arranged in advance you might hope to be dropped at the zoo and catch a ride from there. There are a couple of small cabinish places close but nothing I've heard recommended.

We've decided to stay at the Community Baboon Sanctuary a few nights at the start of the Belize part of our trip with a visit to Lamanai in between, then we'll stop at the zoo on our way to a few nights in the Cayo for the ATM cave trip before heading to Hopkins and out to Glover's. We'll end with 4-5 days on Caulker.

If you want to do whale shark diving, I definately recommend you book in advance. Those spots are hard to get. You are arriving right in the middle of the whale shark full moon period for that month (9 - 17). Please visit our website: Avadon Divers - Placencia, Belize, Welcome We can organize that for you. Do you have a place to stay in Placencia yet? Katie at info@belize-trips.com is a great contact who has a network of places she works with for accommodations. Look forward to hearing from you.

Anne-Marie

Back
Top Bottom