Up to 30% discount - all Light For Me torches pre-season sale !

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TecDiveGear

ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Dear diver friends,
thanks for all support, best wishes we have received since last couple of weeks.
I'm happy that some of you have showed the confidence and trust in products by purchasing Light For Me torches.
Motorized by growing popularity of Light For Me products we've launched brand new on-line store @ Tec Dive Gear - Technical Diving Equipment that,
we're hoping, will set up new level of shopping experience for many technical diving products added daily to our database.

With that occasion we lowered the price of all Light For Me products up to 20-30% !
with absolutely free ground shipping WORLDWIDE ! Promotion is valid through March 20th.

Also to see us, team TecDiveGear, and all products live we invite you to Beneath The Sea, biggest dive show on the East Coast. Tec Dive Gear - booth # 609 !

Thanks,
Tec Dive Gear
Sales Team

Has anybody used these? Any reviews?

I am interested in the 330 lumen Back Up TEC or even the 1,000 lumen 3XPG Back Up REC. I don't want the price of a canister, but these could work for me.

Looking at the pictures on the site, I could not see a place to attach a snap on these.

I just bought one and should receive it tomorrow, will take on Saturday dive at Bainbridge,PA will post here after coming back about it.
I bought it because my dive buddy has one of those (in discountinued gray color) since like 3 years (brought from Europe) and works flawlesly since then, really bright.

shorty :)

Can TecDiveGear or anyone competent in electronics explain to me how 3 different lights (backup lights) which are rated at 3 different lumens still have equal burn times using the same amount of batteries??

Can TecDiveGear or anyone competent in electronics explain to me how 3 different lights (backup lights) which are rated at 3 different lumens still have equal burn times using the same amount of batteries??

If it comes to using a back up lights with user "choice" of batteries we did publish a safe with big margin minimum burn time which is achieved with the "worst" batteries on the market (do not recommend) just for safety. During the tests with good alkaline batteries burn times especially Back Up TEC and TEC Narrow ranged easily up to 10 hours and 3XPG way more than 6h.

Have a great day everybody !

I am interested in the 330 lumen Back Up TEC or even the 1,000 lumen 3XPG Back Up REC. I don't want the price of a canister, but these could work for me.

Looking at the pictures on the site, I could not see a place to attach a snap on these.

I purchased the backup TEC about 3 weeks ago and have dived it several times. The light is well built and so far I'm happy with it's performance. On the first two dives my dive buddy had an older 10 or 12W Dive Rite HID, which was slightly brighter than the backup TEC. He complimented the light after the dive. Both of these dives were in a Florida spring at around 50'. The last two dives were in a lake with about 20' visibility at a depth of 95' and the light performed well. My dive buddy on these dives had a Light Monkey backup (3 C cell LED) and I would say the backup TEC was pretty much the same (it had about 1.5 hours of use on the batteries). I didn't notice any significant difference in the beam or the light intensity. I didn’t do a head to head comparison, so these are just my impressions. I use mine with the OxyCheq light sock, which works great with the light. There is an attachment point for a snap bolt.

None of these 3 backup lights have accurate numbers. The burn time at 1000 lumen (100%) cannot be 6 hours with 3 C cells. It would be more like 3 hours but I'm doubting that you can consistently get 1000 lumen out of alkaline batteries (high internal resistance chemistry). With lithium (low internal resistance chemistry) it would be doable if the 3 XP-G leds are given enough current to actually produce 1000 lumen.

The other two backup lights only use one led so obviously the one with 3 leds and the others with just 1 cannot have the same burn time with all using 3 C cells. The burn time on the two single led lights looks reasonable. The max lumen claimed don't look reasonable however (for the 2 single led lights). In any event those single led lumen figures are way above the max output on the manufacturers specification sheet.

All 3 of these lights are probably good lights. The claims of output and burn time just aren't accurate it seems.

None of these 3 backup lights have accurate numbers. The burn time at 1000 lumen (100%) cannot be 6 hours with 3 C cells. It would be more like 3 hours but I'm doubting that you can consistently get 1000 lumen out of alkaline batteries (high internal resistance chemistry). With lithium (low internal resistance chemistry) it would be doable if the 3 XP-G leds are given enough current to actually produce 1000 lumen.

The other two backup lights only use one led so obviously the one with 3 leds and the others with just 1 cannot have the same burn time with all using 3 C cells. The burn time on the two single led lights looks reasonable. The max lumen claimed don't look reasonable however (for the 2 single led lights). In any event those single led lumen figures are way above the max output on the manufacturers specification sheet.

All 3 of these lights are probably good lights. The claims of output and burn time just aren't accurate it seems.

I know very little about this type of thing, but are you saying the numbers/specs they quote are not possible, referring particularly to the 1000 lumen model. Cheers

I know very little about this type of thing, but are you saying the numbers/specs they quote are not possible, referring particularly to the 1000 lumen model. Cheers

Specifically, if the output is anywhere close to 1000 lumen it's not possible to get the run time specified (6 hours) from 3 C cells. It may be possible for the light to gradually dim and not completely cut off for 6 hours.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom