Unusual encounter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

parabolic

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
During a dive in Morro Bay last week I came across this little octopus peeking out at me from a broken horseneck clam shell:
4057967799_be3c5a8705_o.jpg

After awhile he came out and jetted a few feet away, stopped, and started changing colors and shapes to confuse me. I was not deterred, however, and fired off a few frames:
4057967717_d63db96a1d_o.jpg

Every few minutes he would jet to another spot a short distance away. This time he landed right in front of a large one-spot fringehead blenny. The octupus is in the lower right part of the frame, the blenny directly above, substantially out of his lair with the dorsal spot clearly visible:
4058708164_c9d0cc0b38_o.jpg

I carefully maneuvered around to the front of the unlikely pair and fired off a few frontal shots:
4057967351_491d8db941_o.jpg

And one last right profile before the octopus tired of all this and jetted away for the last time:
4057967193_bb95f6bd7e_o.jpg

All this was witnessed by a smiling crab with a moustache and a mohawk:
4057966953_d1c6e7dc2e_o.jpg

Cool shots, Ken! I think the crab is smiling because the Octopus was paying more attention to you than to him.

Nice. That's so much fun chasing little guys around and letting them pose. Last year I was following an Octopus on a Coz reef and ran into two blennys in a little open area. One was carrying eggs in it's mouth and stayed pretty much hovering over it's den. The male was about two feet away in another den protecting it. I stayed very still videoing them and shooting stills. After a while they did some really cool things. I must have spent twenty minutes with them. A great time. Your patience is obvious.

Cool catch :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom