Unsealed Apeks 1st Stage Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The simple answer is yes....but we no longer have the parts to do it since we haven't dealt with Apeks in over 10 years. Your local Aqualung dealer should be able to help you out!!

Thanks,

Scott

Mark,
Aqualung/Apeks can supply the needed parts, but Apeks parts are VERY expensive. You would probably be better served to either sell the reg and buy one that is sealed, or keep it as a backup.

how much is VERY expensive? i got this as a gift so i paid nothing for it.

how much is VERY expensive? i got this as a gift so i paid nothing for it.
Off the top of my head, you'll be paying $60-$100 (or more) at a local Apeks dealer if you bought each of those parts a la carte. If Apeks does have a kit with all of the necessary parts included, you might pay closer to the bottom end of that range.

You really should speak to a local Aqualung/Suunto/Apeks dealer. Any authorized dealer can order the parts. Don't be surprised, however, if the LDS employee gives you a blank stare in response to your question. Your request is a little out of the ordinary, from the perspective of the LDS. The employee will have to pull out the latest Aqualung parts catalog, verify the part numbers needed, and place a call to the parts warehouse. Don't be surprised if the parts will take weeks to arrive or if some of them are on backorder. Your LDS may also charge you for shipping of the parts and installation (if not done as part of an overhaul). After all that, I'd be shocked if the whole sh-bang will end up costing you less than $100.

Alternatively, you could purchase one of the environmentally-sealed HOG first stages for $125-$150. It would come with a warranty, but you'd have to attach all your regs and tune them on your own. That's not a bad thing to learn how to do, though.

You could also go with a Zeagle first stage that's environmentally sealed. The 50-D and DS-V are excellent, sealed balanced diaphragm regs rated for cold water use.

Yet another thing to consider is whether your second stages are rated for cold water use. Apeks regs typically have a heat exchanger which is designed to prevent the second stage from freeflowing in cold water. Once again, this part can be added to the ATX20 or XTX20, but it's going to be a special order part.

As has already been mentioned, if you're diving water that in the high 40s (°F) or warmer, then you should be able to use your unsealed first stage with proper tuning and cold water practices. Aqualung/Apeks officially places the cut-off between warm and cold water diving at 50°F.

Send it where? Are you a dealer or a LDS? can anyone vouch cuz im not just gonna send somebody my scuba gear. Maybe my son, but not my scuba gear. Just kidding lol.

Send it where? Are you a dealer or a LDS? can anyone vouch cuz im not just gonna send somebody my scuba gear. Maybe my son, but not my scuba gear. Just kidding lol.
@NJDiverMark: Click on his sig. Gene Heidenreich is affiliated with Zeagle Express in Zephyrhills, FL. He's an instructor for them. Here's a link to his bio on the Zeagleexpress.com website.

His price is very fair, BTW.

Yep, plenty of people here will vouch for the Zeagle Express guys. No worries sending them your reg.

Jim

Mark.
Gene has quoted you a great price--even if you pay shipping both ways. A few years ago, I sold an AT20 (US4 first stage) to an individual who, even though he is a warm water diver, just HAD to have it sealed. I know that an LDS charged him well over $100, and that did not include a service rebuild. Considering that I charged him $150 for the entire reg, which I had just serviced, I thought that was rather steep. I believe that the US4 and the old UST take the same bottom end parts.

Back
Top Bottom