"Unreported" Key Largo Diving Accident?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, that makes me feel a little better about the fact this acutally happened... but where and why is there not any publicity on the subject?

I also discovered via local dive connections she was from Augusta, GA, and that her fiancee located a receipt in her belongings where she bought an air fill once from a local Augusta dive shop and called the shop and threated them in all sorts of ways because of the accidental death... it is reported she was 54 years old, although when I was in the Keys, I was told she was 30-something....

Don

scubadon12:
Well, that makes me feel a little better about the fact this acutally happened... but where and why is there not any publicity on the subject?

I also discovered via local dive connections she was from Augusta, GA, and that her fiancee located a receipt in her belongings where she bought an air fill once from a local Augusta dive shop and called the shop and threated them in all sorts of ways because of the accidental death... it is reported she was 54 years old, although when I was in the Keys, I was told she was 30-something....

Don
I think you answered your first question in your second paragraph. No one is going to talk about anything because there are too many people that will sue everyone that has even talked about scuba diving with the victim in the past 12 months.

jepuskar:
That is a very odd thing to say... :11:

i'm pretty sure he means he's glad he was able to confirm that the
incident did happen, not that he's glad that the incident happened
in the first place

(from context; he left a word or two out)

Has anyone seen anything about this incident in the press or scuba news? Even a small blurb? I have searched everywhere? There is no report that I can find.

tboone:
Has anyone seen anything about this incident in the press or scuba news? Even a small blurb? I have searched everywhere? There is no report that I can find.

I emailed a couple of local reporters, and one at The KeyNoter picked it up.. althought it was slack on details, and buried within another article...

http://www.keynoter.com/articles/2005/08/05/news/news08.txt

This is still the only media coverage I have been able to find on it... dissapointing at best.

D.

HarleyDiver:
Matt & I both agreed we would NEVER dive with a certain boat, they dropped students down current of our ball & made them swim, we had to thow lines to them to get them in. One required in-water assistace. He continued the dive then aborted 5 min later & we picked him up.
Later 4 more divers came up & when the boat stopped to pick them up he was UP-Current. I yelled for him to move down-current, and kept the divers on the line till he did. The DM was in street clothes, and looks like he was last in the water in 1985.

Anyway it was an entertaining SI between our two dives.

Yeah, it was great meeting you Matt, Maybe we'll dive together again soon.

PS I will disclose the Boat's name to anyone who is researching boat's,(for personal reference only, not to be repeated as "I heard") PM me.

But in the name of full disclosure, I have worked for Bluewater as Mate/DM (once so far) and hope to again.

Is this the same boat we saw dumping them in 30 at a time with only 2 crew in a ripping current?

I had planned to go and dive the Grove again, especially now that it has been resituated in the upright position, but after reading what a disorganized circus it now is, I might not.

I see a lot of divers attaching thier masaks a bit too loosely and wonder if it would be a good idea to tighten the mask when you know you will be diving in heavy current?

Does anyone know of dive operators going to the Grove that allow divers to bring their scooters?

A couple of divers and myself are in the beginning stages of planning a trip down there next year probably between April 15 and May 15.

I dove on 'The Grove' before it was uprighted. Dive charters have certain times they hit the werck. ScubaPolly and I (for a few dollars more than a charter) rented a 20' boat from John Pennecamp State Park and dove 'The Grove' ourselves AFTER the cattle boat...er charter boat left the area. We virtually had the wreck to ourselves, and didn't run into any other divers while we were down. Plus we used the wreck itself to shield us from the ripping currents, and followed the rule of swimming INTO the current at the beginning of the dive, so we would be pushed back into our ascent line!

Back
Top Bottom