University project on suits!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/BPML2CC
[FONT=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Hello to all scuba divers! My name is Defne and I am a student at Maastricht University in Holland. I study natural sciences. Currently, I am working on a project to develop new suits and I would be soo grateful if you could take a minute to complete my small survey (5 questions only!)

THANK YOUUU :)
[/FONT]

rather difficult poll to answer because it doesn't ask the right questions imho

how do you define frequently?
how do you define worn out?
newest product is tough because wetsuits haven't really changed a whole lot
no one likes changing their wetsuit frequently
price and quality are hard to quantify, and few divers, even pros change their suits every year....

are we talking 3mm or 7mm? because that makes the suits very different in both function and price
why are you looking at tear specifically?
are you looking at the long term effects of depth/compression on the suit?
UV exposure
losing the suits stretchiness
etc etc

the high end of your price range is getting close to drysuit range, so why does your wetsuit justify not spending another $500-$600 and getting a relatively cheap neoprene drysuit?

Hi, thanks for the feedback!
Firstly, the project is actually on developing a new suit that incorporates neoprene with ultra high molecular weight polyethylene (also known as spectra in the US).
So, the properties of spectra are 'cut resistance', 'lightness', 'strength' etc...
It will be expensive due to the material but it will last longer, which means you pay a high amount but you won't have to keep buying new ones! (becomes more economical).

Thank you for your help though :)

---------- Post added October 7th, 2015 at 08:19 PM ----------

Can I talk to you on facebook? It would be so helpful if you can.

I'm a textile engineer and have done development on similar projects, so I hear you. Basically you're replacing the outer cover of the neoprene with spectra instead of nylon or PET.

Your issue here is knitting the UHMPE because it doesn't knot well so if it does loose a yarn it will unravel very quickly, you also have to choose your knit pattern because there is no natural elasticity in the uhmpe so all of the stretch has to come from the knit. It also has a very low toughness so it may not play well in the stretch environment

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom