universal sign?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

highlandfarmwv

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Is there a universal underwater sign for "pretty, wow, cool, etc" or something to just communicate that you are impressed by something you see underwater?

There needs to be.

In Hawaii we use the shaka or hang loose sign as much as we say da kine :lotsalove:

I will do a little "golf clap" for "yes, I see the cool thing you are pointing at." I've got a light hanging off one hand, but it still works.

The American Sign Language sign for beautiful is with a flat hand palm facing your face do a clockwise (as seen by your buddy) circular motion in front of your face.

The American Sign Language sign for beautiful is with a flat hand palm facing your face do a clockwise (as seen by your buddy) circular motion in front of your face.

That's not how I learned it. I learned "pretty" as with all 5 fingertips together near your chin, make a circular motion around your face, opening your hand as you reach your forehead and closing the finger tips together as the approach your chin. To sign "beautiful" merely add to the pretty sign by raising your hand up and out from your face as you open your hand. Beautiful is pretty with a little more.

I sign "WOW" by merely placing a W hand on each side of my face. An O shaped mouth is in between. I let the regulator serve as the O shaped mouth when diving. "COOL" is a C hand on one side of your face and an L hand on the other.

Is there a universal underwater sign for "pretty, wow, cool, etc" or something to just communicate that you are impressed by something you see underwater?
What I learned years ago (also in Hawaii to, go figure :)) was crossing your fingers and pointing with them. In reality it means "lucky" (you cross your fingers as you do when you want to be lucky), typically it means you found someting rare or unexpected, but is "overloaded" to mean wow or whatever.

Of course, if you get technical training, crossing your fingers like this means "line" so I guess I'm toast if I see a Humuhumunukunuku'apu'a'a in Peacock Springs. :)

Roak

In Hawaii we use the shaka or hang loose sign as much as we say da kine :lotsalove:

Me too...If something's really cool, I'll point at it and use the shaka on both hands. Usually followed by a muffled "WooHoo!!!":eyebrow:

4th batch 163.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom