Unions: Yes or No?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a union member I can say that they have their place.

I am sure that this will turn into a flame war.

crpntr133:
As a union member I can say that they have their place.

Yes, unions help to ensure that any of it's members with above average skills or capabilities don't earn more or advance faster than those with average skills and abilities.

It's the very essence of collective bargaining.

But at least you get to pay dues for the privilege!

Unions have served an important role in the history of the American Labor force. However, there are a number of labor forces which I feel should not be and should never have been Unionized. I agree with RJP. Many unions are becomming weak and ineffective and, in my opinioin, hopefully dying. On the flip side, just because a labor force isn't unionized doesn't mean management will treat the work force fairly. Take a look at the issues at the meat packing plants in Texas.

The American public pays for unions through higher prices on many goods and services.

TwoBit

Although there have certainly been excesses, I think unions can still be important. An equally valid question might be are CEO's still "necessary" given the astronomical pay packages many of them receive, occasionally for non-performance and upon termination!

With the increasing concentration of wealth in the hands of the few (and I'm not one of them or I wouldn't complain!), and the disparity in income with a growing void in the middle... need I say more?

They had their place before there were laws to protect employees. Now they are about political lobbying and filling the pockets of the union leaders. I was previously employed where it was mandatory to be a member, or at least pay the dues whether a member or not. When I opted out for personal and religious convictions I was called many nasty things by the shop steward and union staff. I told them they were just confirming for me why I could not be a member.

Demanding $32 per hour for the person who sweeps the floor of the automobile plant is exactly the reason the big three are going under or going elsewhere.

Just my oversimplification of a very complex problem

TheDivingPreacher:
Demanding $32 per hour for the person who sweeps the floor of the automobile plant is exactly the reason the big three are going under or going elsewhere.

Yet despite all the plant closings and layoffs at Ford, executives are still demanding their bonuses. After a bit of an uproar, all employees are now getting a bonus. Guess who's getting the big bonuses? I can't believe anyone at Ford is getting a bonus.

Meanwhile as the Dana Corp. went into bankruptcy and cut health benefits to retirees, their top execs. went to court to fight for their bonuses, and are still awaiting court approval.

So don't blame it all on the guy sweeping the floor. His salary contract had to be approved by management.

I'm union and have been working without a contract for one year now. We have over 250 employees locked out since last summer. But I wouldn't say I'm pro or anti union. It takes EVERYONE at a company to make it profitable or screw it up.

Without the union I'd likely be making a salary not much different than when I graduated from college 16 years ago. But the problem I have with any union is the inherent problem of us versus them. In times of crises, which I think my company is in, there isn't the teamwork necessary to turn the company around. Some companies have shown the teamwork required to make things work. So far ours hasn't.

Bottom line, it takes two to tango.

Sure, let there be Unions while all our jobs are being outsourced and offshored......too exspensive to do business in this country. Something is really wrong if a person with no education makes $16.00 an hour.

bladephotog:
So don't blame it all on the guy sweeping the floor. His salary contract had to be approved by management.

My quote had nothing to do with the individual in the position. It had to do with inappropriate pay for the task performed. Demanded by the union thugs.

:wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom