Unintentional Overfill - Do I have anything to worry about???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Warren_L

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Ok, here is the story. Maybe I'm a little anal when it comes to tank fills and such, but here is what happened to me this afternoon.

I took my two relatively new PST E7-120s into a local shop here to get O2 cleaned. When I had bought them originally, they were approved for pre-mix, but since there aren't too many shops that bank pre-mix around here, I figured I'd be better off getting the tank and valves O2 clean.

Anyway, was at the shop. Good group of people, very knowledgeable. Great fill station (all certs in order, Z180.1, Maxxam tested, etc). The tanks and valves were broken down, cleaned, etc, and re-assembled.

Now there were 2 guys in the shop. One guy who worked at the shop did the cleaning of the tanks and valves, and did the initial fill. There was another guy who wasn't really an employee of the shop, but did work for them (presumably on a contract basis). He was in the back room doing visuals, tumbling tanks, etc. He even told me at one point that he does hydros on tanks.

Long story short, some customers came into the shop and the first guy got busy and asked the 2nd guy (the non-employee) to get my tanks for me. All he had to do was shut off the fill valve and bleed the lines. So I follow him into the fill room.

He asks me what I want my tanks filled to. So I said 3442, which is the service pressure. He proceeds to open up the fill valve more. At first, I thought he was going to overfill them a bit and let it cool. No problem, I thought. The tanks are pretty new and are rated for 10% over-fill. I was watching the fill gauge at this point. 3500 .... 3600 .... 3700....

When the guage hit about 3600 and he didn't turn it down or off, but rather cracked it open even more, I started to get worried. Then when it hit 3700 I knew something was not right, and then it hit 3800 when I said "what the hell are you doing?? It's almost at 4000 psi!!". At that point he looked at the guage and said "no it isn't". And I said "yes it is!!". He then shut the valve off and had a closer look at the guage.

The fill guage has 2 sets of markings. One is PSI, one is millibars. He was reading the wrong markings. The other guy (the employee) must have heard the commotion and came into the fill room and asked what was going on. I said my tanks were overfilled to almost 4000 psi. He bled them down and explained that it would be no problem as the tanks probably didn't really get that high as the lines pressurize higher than the tank itself at first (which makes sense otherwise the tank would not fill).

My question is this. Do I have anything to worry about? I don't like the idea that my tanks were overfilled to nearly 4000 psi. These are brand new and I would be severly pissed if they didn't pass their first hydro in another four+ years.

If I hadn't have said anything, my tanks might have been filled to 350 bar.

Well, hate to bust your bubble, but the PST cylinders come thru from the FACTORY O2 cleaned. Yes, thats valves too. So, you wasted some money on that... Second, overfill to 4000 psi, wouldnt really give you a cold fill at 4000. Im sure when it cooled down, it probably would have been more like 3500 or 3600. No biggie.

Also, the E series tanks do not have a 10% overfill. Their service pressure is 3442. thats it.

Yep, no biggie.

Warren_L:
Ok, here is the story. Maybe I'm a little anal when it comes to tank fills and such, but here is what happened to me this afternoon.

I took my two relatively new PST E7-120s into a local shop here to get O2 cleaned. When I had bought them originally, they were approved for pre-mix, but since there aren't too many shops that bank pre-mix around here, I figured I'd be better off getting the tank and valves O2 clean.

Anyway, was at the shop. Good group of people, very knowledgeable. Great fill station (all certs in order, Z180.1, Maxxam tested, etc). The tanks and valves were broken down, cleaned, etc, and re-assembled.

Now there were 2 guys in the shop. One guy who worked at the shop did the cleaning of the tanks and valves, and did the initial fill. There was another guy who wasn't really an employee of the shop, but did work for them (presumably on a contract basis). He was in the back room doing visuals, tumbling tanks, etc. He even told me at one point that he does hydros on tanks.

Long story short, some customers came into the shop and the first guy got busy and asked the 2nd guy (the non-employee) to get my tanks for me. All he had to do was shut off the fill valve and bleed the lines. So I follow him into the fill room.

He asks me what I want my tanks filled to. So I said 3442, which is the service pressure. He proceeds to open up the fill valve more. At first, I thought he was going to overfill them a bit and let it cool. No problem, I thought. The tanks are pretty new and are rated for 10% over-fill. I was watching the fill gauge at this point. 3500 .... 3600 .... 3700....

When the guage hit about 3600 and he didn't turn it down or off, but rather cracked it open even more, I started to get worried. Then when it hit 3700 I knew something was not right, and then it hit 3800 when I said "what the hell are you doing?? It's almost at 4000 psi!!". At that point he looked at the guage and said "no it isn't". And I said "yes it is!!". He then shut the valve off and had a closer look at the guage.

The fill guage has 2 sets of markings. One is PSI, one is millibars. He was reading the wrong markings. The other guy (the employee) must have heard the commotion and came into the fill room and asked what was going on. I said my tanks were overfilled to almost 4000 psi. He bled them down and explained that it would be no problem as the tanks probably didn't really get that high as the lines pressurize higher than the tank itself at first (which makes sense otherwise the tank would not fill).

My question is this. Do I have anything to worry about? I don't like the idea that my tanks were overfilled to nearly 4000 psi. These are brand new and I would be severly pissed if they didn't pass their first hydro in another four+ years.

If I hadn't have said anything, my tanks might have been filled to 350 bar.

One of these other guys would be a better tank reference but keep in mind what your tanks go through for hydro tests. I too have had to yell at some shop people for not paying attention to my tank pressure. It happened several times with this new kid but I watch them like a hawk to make sure they are done right. At one point I told the shop owner one more overfill and I take my business elsewhere. They have been very careful since then and have done a great job.

--Matt

LUBOLD8431:
Well, hate to bust your bubble, but the PST cylinders come thru from the FACTORY O2 cleaned. Yes, thats valves too. So, you wasted some money on that... Second, overfill to 4000 psi, wouldnt really give you a cold fill at 4000. Im sure when it cooled down, it probably would have been more like 3500 or 3600. No biggie.

Also, the E series tanks do not have a 10% overfill. Their service pressure is 3442. thats it.
I had different valves installed other than the factory valves, and the guy I bought them from only stamped it as approved for pre-mix. They may have already been O2 clean, but there wasn't much I could do. Besides, it basically cost me $20 US per tank, so it was no biggie.

You got a good cave fill, that's all. Nothing to worry about.

In cave country I've seen 2400psi cylinders at 4000 psi.

And as stated, the new cylinders do not have a + (10% overfill) rating.

Roak

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom