Uninspected 6-packs: what's the risk?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

But also, they passed inspection, so where does that leave us?

The same place we were before except more divers are giving it some thought now. I always think about egress during a fire or collision when picking a cabin or bunk on a liveaboard. "What if" scenarios should be considered on any vessel — row boat, passenger ferry, ocean liner, or oil rig. Going to sea is never without risk, but neither is driving to a dive site or crossing the street.

Paraphrasing Louis Pasteur, Survival favors the prepared mind.

In Australia all charter boats, no matter the length or size, need to comply with the same rules. Much safer!

Most six packs aren't going to be liveaboards or even overnight boats which eliminates a lot of potential boat issues. Most operators take care of their essential equipment on their boats, because if they don't they are out of business.

Let's put this into some perspective. The OP is highlighting some rare instances, one of which happened years ago. There's inherent risk with any vessel on the water. I've seen stories of brand new $1 million dollar vessels fail, but again it's rare. Tens of thousands of scuba and fishing charter six pack trips are made every year and very few sink, if any at all. I don't have the actual data, but if you forced me to guess, I'd say 99.9% of the US trips are successful. I like those numbers and it's probably why they aren't inspected vessels. It's not something that would be on my radar to worry about. Talk to the operator or captain about the boat's condition if it concerns you. They all should go over safety in the pre trip briefing.

If you're a boat diver just buy a PLB, put it in a canister and you've virtually eliminated the lost at sea issue, which is a greater risk than being stuck in a cabin on a six pack as it's sinking. Recognize with living comes some level of risk. We can follow every godforsaken rule and regulation and things can and will go sideways from time to time. Do what you can to mitigate it and have fun, live your life.

Reactions: Kha
Just to add my 2 psi...

I believe it's quite difficult for foreign-built boats to obtain a certificate of inspection as it's a very lengthy and cost-prohibitive process. In the northeast we have a lot of boats built in Nova Scotia that for this reason will never graduate from 6-pack status. That in itself doesn't mean they are any less safe or capable than an inspected vessel.

I'm currently taking the 100 Ton Masters Course and asked in class an hour ago if an inspected vessel can be driven by a 6 pack Captain if he only has 6 pax

The answer I got was once a vessel is an inspected vessel it remains so... and must be manned accordingly

a six pack captain can captain an inspected vessel so long as there are only 6 customers on board and he doesn’t exceed his tonnage

The fundamental difference, as I see it, is in the US it's the risk/cost of litigation/compensation that governs Health & Safety. Whereas in most other places it’s the State that sets the standards - as most Joe Public are not sufficiently qualified or experienced to make the technical assessments.

I always think about egress during a fire or collision when picking a cabin or bunk on a liveaboard. "What if" scenarios should be considered on any vessel — row boat, passenger ferry, ocean liner, or oil rig. Going to sea is never without risk, but neither is driving to a dive site or crossing the street.

Easy to spot a well trained raghat.

Paraphrasing Louis Pasteur, Survival favors the prepared mind.

The chief said the same thing, only with more expletives.

Back
Top Bottom