Unidentified Shrimp

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

XcalakSteve

Reaction score
Xcalak Mexico Caribbean coast near Belize
Shot this guy yesterday in about 50 feet of water. Located in front of Xcalak Mexico near the Belize border. Any ideas?

original.jpg

original.jpg

Steve

Mantis Shrimp. AKA thumb splitter. Don't stick your finger in the hole!

It's a thalanassid shrimp, the same family that contains ghost and mud shrimp. Genus Corallianassa. It's been photographed a lot. This particular species is a hoarder. Some members of this genus dig extensive burrows. They capture sea grass & other vegetal detritus which they store in special chambers in the burrows. After allowing bacteria to partially break down the debris they eat it. You can lure them out of their burrows by holding a piece of seagrass over the opening.

It's a thalanassid shrimp, the same family that contains ghost and mud shrimp. Genus Corallianassa. It's been photographed a lot. This particular species is a hoarder. Some members of this genus dig extensive burrows. They capture sea grass & other vegetal detritus which they store in special chambers in the burrows. After allowing bacteria to partially break down the debris they eat it. You can lure them out of their burrows by holding a piece of seagrass over the opening.
Thanks Leslie... little rascal had me stumped!
Now I have to go find 'em :)
Rick

I'e seen about 20 images of this on the net but they're usually mis-identified so a google search won't find them. Do a search in the critter id forum at Wetpixel (Wetpixel.com :: Underwater Photography and Videography) - I've discussed it in at least one maybe two threads there.

Here's one of the sites that mentions the habit of gardening: Marine Biology Vienna - Staff of the Department The picture they have of Corallianassa longiventris nicely matches the markings on your guy. A scientific article on it with more pictures is http://www.nhm-wien.ac.at/NHM/3Zoo/Dworschak_et_al_homepage.pdf

You wanted some more pics, was browsing through and found one (not very good one) taken in St. Lucia in about 20 ft of water on a sandy bottom at Saline Point. I've also seen a species of this with blue. was a few months ago and didn't have camera.

Attachments

• WYNDEL and JASONS' PHOTOS July 2007 045.jpg
    WYNDEL and JASONS' PHOTOS July 2007 045.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 44
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom