Unidentified Anacapa inverts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reeveseye

Contributor
Reaction score
My wife and I were diving the "Underwater Island" dive site off West Anacapa, CA yesterday. We saw a large amount of the reef covered with the inverts seen in the attachment. I included the starfish in the picture to give a sense of scale, but it's all the yellow, orange, and purple feathery tentacles that I couldn't identify. They look like the arms of a brittle starfish, but weren't attached to any body I could see. I checked my Audubon guide, but didn't see anything similar. What are those things?

pipe cleaners... duh!

They're all brittle stars. At times and in some dive sites in the N. Channel Islands, they are a foot deep on the bottom. Colorful shot.

jlyle:
They're all brittle stars. At times and in some dive sites in the N. Channel Islands, they are a foot deep on the bottom. Colorful shot.

I know it looks like a bunch of furry spaghetti, but that's what is it... a whole lot of 'em.

I also agree that it's a neat shot. :thumb:

Yep, not uncommon in the northern Channel Islands to have this happen. I've seen it a few times. We don't seem to get them down here. I think it's the high number of sheephead off Catalina (at least in the Avalon area) as they love brittle stars. They'd never survive in the open here (like many other species including urchins, bat stars, etc.).

Dr. Bill

drbill:
Yep, not uncommon in the northern Channel Islands to have this happen. I've seen it a few times. We don't seem to get them down here. I think it's the high number of sheephead off Catalina (at least in the Avalon area) as they love brittle stars. They'd never survive in the open here (like many other species including urchins, bat stars, etc.).

Dr. Bill

in La Jolla area, in the canyon. In fact, I ran across some on my dive today. And we do have Sheephead around, just not in abundance. Hmm, Dr. Bill, I'm still waiting for you to come down to San Diego to do some diving :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom