Underwater Weddings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shaka Doug

Contributor
Reaction score
Kihei, Maui, Hawaii 96753, middle of the 808!
# of dives
I'm starting to work with a lady minister who wants to perform marriage ceremonies underwater. We've already done two and they were a lot of fun for everyone involved. Our first one was featured on local Television here in Hawaii. They had a ten minute feature story about it on a show called "The Hawaiian Moving Company".

Is anyone out there in the business of underwater weddings? How does it work for you? I want to do more and have some great ideas of how to run things but I'm always looking for ways to make things easier, simpler, better, etc. There are several levels of pricing depending on the options chosen by the couple. Site selection makes a big impact on the cost too.

What do you guys and gals know about this subject? Anyone want to come to Maui and get hitched down below? Your comments are welcomed.

Ah-Lowwwwww-Haaaaaa!

Shaka Doug

How do they say their vows? What about the guests? Do they have to know how to scuba dive too? I've never heard of underwater weddings before... sounds interesting, though.

I watch it in TV before, can't remember where. And I also read some article, which say that the underwater wedding is basically only formality. The couple had said the vows before the ceremony.

As for scuba skills, in my opinion, you SHOULD have at least know about how to use a BC, and can breath through a regulator. But again, it all will depends on the location (e.g., depth, viz, current, etc). The guest probably only fellow scuba diver, or they can watch the ceremony through glass-bottom boat or through live broadcast.

What will be more challenging is..... wedding inside a shipwreck. Never heard anybody trying though.

I've heard 'bout it In Italy, in the beautiful Portofino at the Chrtis Statue at -18. I think it's quite expensive but you save money on invited people :eyebrow:

For the couples with the resources and a longer guest list, the Atlantis submarine can be rented for non-diving guests.

I've done 4 terrestrial wedding ceremonies in the past for friends, always for no charge. They just pay for my transportation and lodging, and I'm happy to do it.

I'd do the same for any friends wanting an underwater wedding in a heartbeat, and would certainly consider it for divers I haven't met who'd be willing to transport me to a nice dive location!

Obviously, the couple, witnesses, and any wedding participants would have to be able to dive. I'd probably work out a simple ceremony using slates and hand signals.

Vows could be said on land beforehand, but there's no reason the underwater part need be a formality. So long as the couple can express their consent to be married, that's the only crucial element of the ceremony. Vows are nice, but non-essential.

MSilvia:
I've done 4 terrestrial wedding ceremonies in the past for friends, always for no charge. They just pay for my transportation and lodging, and I'm happy to do it.

I'd do the same for any friends wanting an underwater wedding in a heartbeat, and would certainly consider it for divers I haven't met who'd be willing to transport me to a nice dive location!

Obviously, the couple, witnesses, and any wedding participants would have to be able to dive. I'd probably work out a simple ceremony using slates and hand signals.

Vows could be said on land beforehand, but there's no reason the underwater part need be a formality. So long as the couple can express their consent to be married, that's the only crucial element of the ceremony. Vows are nice, but non-essential.

Niice. I guess that makes sense. That'd be pretty cool, and good point mad, save a ton on uninvited guests.

So I'm interested, where have you done them? Clear water, no/low current zones, I presume?

I had an underwater wedding in Key Largo. The vows were written on a slate. The official would point to the slate, and we would give hand signals or write on the slate. No need to say vows on land. Some guests snorkeled while other guests were on a glass-bottom boat.

Stacey

What about consummating the marriage? Underwater also???

I've been a corporate and consumer video producer for 11 yrs. now and I do offer this service here in Ohio but I haven't yet had any takers. Gee, I wonder why?? Could it be that I live in Ohio, the armpit of the world for weather conditions. There are several quarries around me but the great viz is early spring. That means the bride, groom and wedding party would all have to wear exposure suits, either 7mm farmer johns, or dry - not very romantic. I guess we could use a local indoor swimming pool for the service, but again loss of ambience unless I decorated the deep end with arches and plastic flowers. I even have the capability of cabling to a surface monitor so non-diving guest could watch the ceremony. I guess I'll just have to be patient.

Barracuda2

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom