Underwater Weddings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pir8:
Wouldn't being an divemaster/instructor meet those requirements?

Short answer, no. In the UK and some other countries the issue is the payment.
An amateur instructor or DM in the UK does not need HSE Commercial qualification but the moment he or she accepts payment the HSE rules apply.
The HSE's remit relates to the Health and Safety AT WORK legislation.

Now as for the USA, we've seen a number of discussions on this board where a DM or Instructor may be a full time employee of an LDS and get paid to teach in a recreational environment but the moment they talk about getting paid to clean a hull or collect golfballs or do some UW welding all the commercial divers chip in and say that this requires a commercial qualification.

So I don't claim to be any sort of expert on US law, but I'm curious where you draw the line. As far as I can see MVTEK would be exercising a profession UW.

I can't imagine being an amatur instructor, as much as it cost me to become one. Can't imagine having to also do a commercial rating so that I could teach overseas. That really doesn't make much sense to me. Already considered a professional.
I haven't actually done any yet but I recently became ordained so that I could do underwater weddings, got the idea from someone else here on SB. Thinking of writing a PADI Specialty for it.

I've heard of one in Fla, but forget where I heard about it. I need to work out some sign language for it.

Our minister had the sermon laminated and we signed ok and flash cards

That works, thank you. I take you had your ceremony underH2O?

That sounds ideal. I hope to perform one like that someday.

If I ever marry again, I'll have to consider an underwater ceremony. It would definately limit the number of attendees. Heck, it even rules out my current BF....

Back
Top Bottom