Underwater / waterproof switch / switches

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DarkMZ

New
Reaction score
Hi from France.

I'm looking for On/OFF underwater switch sources, for switching mu new HID 35W prototype. Any ideas ? Web sites ? Photos ???? :eek:)

Thx in advance.

Best regards,

E. TONNEAU

There's a lot of good information in the Dive Light Companion:

http://www.airspeedpress.com/

Roak

I have a Dive rite canister lamp and I want to put a switch on it. Were can I find a switch that work underwater?

Thanks

A lot of threads were lost when there was a hard disk crash some years ago.
The post I had made referred to the use of a reed switch to control the gate of a MOSFET switch.
The reed switch would be mounted against the inside surface of the light housing and operated by a magnet on the outside of the housing. The magnet can slide in a groove or be mounted on a rotating disk. Provided the housing is non-magnetic (plastic or aluminium) the magnetic field will penetrate and operate the reed.
If you Google the words mosfet switch, you'll find a lot of tips about typical circuits and mosfet selection for various loads. The circuitry is very simple.

Given that this post was made in 2004, depending on where you live, nowadays it's probably easier to find a Hall Effect Sensor than a reed switch. This type of sensor can also be used to easily control the mosfet load switch.

I blatantly copied this from candlepower forums for my torch...

fet+switch+with+reed.jpg

With a rotating ring with a magnet on... very simple..

IMG_20130104_204247.jpg

I blatantly copied this from candlepower forums for my torch...

View attachment 154495

With a rotating ring with a magnet on... very simple..

View attachment 154496

I don't know where you got that drawing but it's wrong and will confuse people unless they use exactly the quoted mosfet. The IRF3205 is (correctly) an N-channel mosfet so the arrow should point towards the gate and not away.

I go with the low tech version. Single Pole Single Throw (SPST) Bat handled toggle switch and boot. Tlslights.com has good ones.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom