underwater video

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The TRV70 should work in the Top Dawg housing ($800) offered by Backscatter and Light & Motion in Monterey. It's a good basic flat port housing. I use several of them with various Sony TRV camcorders (primarily a TRV17 now) and am happy with the results. Some of my diving friends consider the results better than those with a VHX1000 or TRV950 with dedicated housings.

Dr. Bill

I started thinking about getting into UWvideo about 6 years ago. I already had the camera, a Sony 8mm Handycam. I soon found out that the housings and lights were more expensive then the cameras. After looking around for a cheap used housing and finding nothing, I built my own. Now I know what you're going to say, "I'm not trusting my camera to something I built" but it's not really that hard and is every bit as realiable as any brand name. Infact there is one brand of housing on the market I've seen that is built exactly the same way mine is, same material, same parts. You can build your own housing for the exact camera you have with just a little machanical ability, $150 to $200 and a few hand and power tools. Take a look at the one I built and if you're interested in any information just PM me. I've had this exact housing down to 130 feet and there was not even a single drop of water inside. I don't sell the housings or the information, it's all free, and if you go to the DIY section of the board you'll see threads on lights with links to a canister light I built as well. These things work and are 2 to 3 times cheaper then a store bought housing.

DIY Housing

Scott

Back
Top Bottom