Underwater "treasures" in city center

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Subcooled

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
There are an endless amount of bicycles (and bottles and mugs as well) along the piers. Traffic signs and cones, ad stands, benches, chairs and tables - even trolleys... Some phones and and wallets too. Phones and wallets also fall from bridges and stolen handbags can be thrown further into the river. Real treasures are a rarity, but an admiralty anchor and a number of ancient mill stones have been recovered.

Diving is done using a surface fed line as visibility is an inch or two only and diving has to be done by touch.

We feel that it is easier to maintain course while diving inwards guided by a just noticeable pull instead of diving away from the line tender. Doing the latter easily leads to swimming in an arch or circle. Diving along the wall or at constant distance are also used. Sector searches too.

The bottom varies: clay, sand, rough and irregular concrete blocks, stones (cut and natural), remains of old bridges... but it's firm as the spring flood washes loose material towards the sea.

Wetgloves are better than drygloves in allowing the fingertips to feel detail and material and worn out wetgloves are also better than punctured drygloves.

Stone walls are built on wooden poles and it's possible to dive between those into the pier, which is a nastly place: overhead environment, poles, no visibility, and who knows how stable the clay is... Hence, great care is taken not to venture there.

Unfortunately, there is not much to show under the surface, for obvious reasons.

The channel also contains more videos of the same river from previous years, if interested:
Search and recovery - YouTube

I'm an avid metal detectorist, both on land and in the water. I detect fields, lake and the ocean on a regular basis. Over the past three years, I've recovered 46 gold and platinum rings and at least 200 silver rings and chains, over 3,000 Euros and tons of artifacts.

In my experience, it's not how much visibility you have (I've recovered gold rings that I couldn't see until I reached the surface), but how good you are at interpreting what your detector is "telling" you and how good you are at "pinpointing" the object.

After reading your great post, am I correct to assume that you don't use a metal detector? If not, you should get one. You'll be amazed at the treasure that you've been missing!

Good luck and happy hunting!

Craig

I too am an avid detectorist, and spend loads of time in the field and shallow water. I took up scuba so that I can spend more time in the water on the summer days when it's too hot to dig. LOL....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom