Underwater Towable Scuba Sleds: A need for safety improvements

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Dear all,
It all started in June 2012
when Yori and I, employees at Dive Friends Bonaire (Dutch Caribbean), planned to build a couple of underwater tow sleds to ride them with scuba tanks.

After many tests and while sharing the innovative ergonomic design of the "Manta PTP" prototype with the other dive instructors the happiness on their face quickly raised the need to build a better version.
After 3 months of carving, sanding, and with the help of talented locals for the fiberglass and paint jobs the shiny and curvy "Manta MKII Space Sled" was born.
Although the name "Manta Board" is already in use by other underwater sled developers nothing really compares to the shape of the PTP and the Space Sled. Most of the existing tow boards are designed for free-diving using 2 or more ropes attached frontward and back handles.
The design of the Manta Men sleds remains unique for scuba activities; the unmatched tow-point position combined with the front handles and the rear elbow pads make the maneuverability very soft, precise, effortless, and allow easy spinning as well as large horizontal displacements. The board is so stable that equalizing and one hand riding techniques are quickly assimilated by the diver.
No brutal depth fluctuation occurs such as the ones you can experience with commons and fast free-diving tow boards. Indeed, the boat speed to ride the Manta SS is very slow (1000-1100 rpm on a single 115hp engine) which is quite boring for the passengers but the sensation of surfing fast underwater is definitely real.
Therefore, the front deflector or shield holds a backup dive computer in order to control ascent/descent rates as well as an analog depth gauge. The maximum depth is about 60 feet for a 100 feet rope length. The diver carries his tank on a back plate; no BCD and weights are needed. In the case of an emergency the board can be dropped (it will float to surface) and the diver can easily manage his ascent performing a safety stop using his own computer. Communication with the boat captain must naturally be ensured.
You will enjoy a comfortable and peaceful ride and consume way less air or nitrox; well, just enough for instance to cover 5 or 6 dive sites in a row on Klein Bonaire with one small tank!
We are currently processing a patent application for the Manta Men Boards sleds design. Contact us at manta.men.boards@gmail.com
Feel free to check our first videos on youtube: Charly Duces .
Your comments or questions are welcome.

Underwater scuba tow sled - Manta Men Boards - Manta MKII SS recap - YouTube

"Communication with the boat captain must naturally be ensured." How is this accomplished?

And I'd get this rather than just buying a DPV because...?

this is what we called tow planning and we have done this for 20 + years here in ontario ...it can be allot of fun

Back in the 90's I invented what I called DIVE SLED. It is made of Fiberglass and holds three tanks and a storage boc for fish, bugs, equipment, etc.... I use a 100' plus pneumatic air hose with a special adapter to the tank and my regulator. I have a shorter towing line that attaches to my weight belt. More or less I am in a sense getting all the benefits of free diving despite having the regulator. I can spend hours on the water and I don't worry about deco as I rarely descend deep enough to warrant deco/stops, etc....I have used it lots for lobstering and spearfishing http://yourlifeinthephilippines.com/2015/08/my-dive-sled-invention-scuba-diving/

The video is coming up as "Private" for me... Did I miss something?

My sled is a slab of plywood with some attachment points for instruments etc. I use some sailing track as the line attachment point so I can adjust the position of the attachment. This allows the board to be "trimmed out" which greatly reduces the work required to stay at a constant depth. I use a quick release fitting to release the line in case the "driver" either (a) finds a nice new wreck or (b) happens to get dragged into a fish net~ :eek:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom