Underwater Photography. Please help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Theunis

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I want to purchase a underwater camera/ video/ digital. I do not know what you call it. But I understand you can buy a photograph/video combo for less than $700. What do you recommend? I am not a professional photographer, all I want is to show my wife and daughter how a fish looks like (ha ha ha). I have heard that you can buy additional memory card for longer videos.

Please advice me.

Diver Dennis, thanks for your reply. It seems that I have a lot to read about camera's, etc. I will get into it straight away!! Thanks for the link.

No worries. A warning though, once you start you will find it very addicting as well as very draining on your bank account...:D

There are a lot of point and shoot cameras that can take terrific shots. A lot depends on you doing some research and reading the manual. There are a lot of online resources, read free, that can teach you the basics of becoming a good photographer in general. You don't have to spend a lot to get started. This forum has some terrific photographers and they are always willing to share tips and techniques.

Good luck!

Diver Dennis and Jack, thanks again for your replies. I do appreciate it. At this point I am looking at a Sea and Sea 860G ($770) with a YS27 strobe ($480), or maybe a
Nikon L16 ($700) with the Sea and Sea strobe.

What do you think?

Theunis

If I were you I would be looking at the Canon G9 in a Canon housing. A friend of mine has the S&S 860G, the pics are nice but the camera has limited manual control.

It all starts out wanting to show friends and family "what it looks like" underwater, but as Dennis warned .......

Diver Dennis and Jack, thanks again for your replies. I do appreciate it. At this point I am looking at a Sea and Sea 860G ($770) with a YS27 strobe ($480), or maybe a

What do you think?

I'll tell you how I started out it might help. I first rented a film camera on my first dive trip (Bonaire). I knew I wanted to go digital but at the time didn't feel like dropping a ton of money on a camera set up. I first bought a Canon A85 ($200) and an UW housing for it ($150). I didn't buy a strobe for and just used the internal flash. I used it for the the next 3 dive trips. It took really nice macro pictures for a P&S. After I realized that I really enjoyed taking UW photos I decided to move up to a better UW camera. I now have a Nikon D50 and dual strobes ($2000+). I guess my advice would be to start small and work your way up because you will want to improve your photography the more you take pictures. Or jump in with both feet and get something really nice. I also was lokking at a S&S when I first started and am glad I went the route I did. I continue to add to my camera bag, I just added a 60mm macro lense for my last trip.

What do you think?

I just looked over the specs for the new CoolPix. I'm not overly impressed with the L16/L18. I'm not sure how I feel about the auto ISO mode, with an external strobe that might be a bit trying and I don't think they have a video mode which you said you'd like. The s600 looks to be ok, but not out long so prices are higher at around $250.

My best recommendation is the P5100. It's been out for a while now and prices are very good for this topline camera at around $275 (BeachCamera.com). The lower priced cameras are at $160 on up and for the extra $125 you are getting a much more advanced camera, better manual features, optical stabilization, and much better lens quality.

The thing is that the housing price ($209 for Fantasea at a discount) is all the same for whatever model, so housing the best camera is the best move.

I don't know much about the Sea & Sea 860, but as per my article on my blog, most of these "underwater" cameras are simply mid-to low end Rioch or other cameras that have some special s/w, etc to give uw modes. You are much better of getting a high quality camera and housing it, be it Nikon, Canon or Olympus, etc. The electronics, lens quality and other features are much better.

The S&S YS27 is a good strobe with 8 steps of control, but for around $140 more the YS-110 is faster, has more adjustability, more powerful, has a target light and a wider beam angle and can be upgraded to DSLR hardwired sync in the future.

I know $100 here and a $140 there and pretty soon we're talking more than you can afford... But it's scuba dollars right?? ;-)

At any rate I have Housing packages with the FP5000 housing, tray, sync cord, arms set and YS27 strobe starting at $768. You can add in another arms, handle and focus light or upgrade to the YS110 as you like.
OOHOUSE1-27DX.sm.jpg

I am telling customers that they should order any of the S&S strobes soon, as of June 1st there will be a large price increase from S&S of 10-15% and I think Fantasea is going to see some increases as well. The strobes are about a 10 day wait right now, but I'll do my best to get them in asap. I have everything else in stock.

BTW; I do ship internationally, just sent one of these to S.A. for around $60 5-7 day Express Mail.

Jack

Back
Top Bottom