Underwater orientation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

halemanō;5292151:
One does not teach a class, one teaches a student. Often the first step is to find the right motivation (in the case of badge collectors), but other students are already motivated. Some students already have good static compass skills, but the non-static ocean environs are what need to be emphasized. The type of sites the student will go on to practice at also might focus the instruction differently. Pretty much any Agencies Navigation Course Instructor Manual and Student Manual together have most of the proper information, but there is an art to imbedding the information into individual humans.

I was hoping you would be more specific. What kinds of sites do you run navigation exercises at? What kinds of skills do you get your students to do specifically? And so on. I've read my own Navigation manual and it has lots of helpful tips about natural navigation... but my course involved triangles and squares off a beach in about 4m of water, sometimes with a compass and sometimes relying on natural navigation. This is the common practice that I have seen.

I've lost count how many I've seen. Fair enough if you think it is done better elsewhere. Perhaps you could give a breakdown of exactly what you think should be in a good Nav class?

I'll tell you how I do it ... and I don't teach it as a separate specialty, it's part of my AOW curriculum.

First, the classwork ... we start by talking about the compass ... how it works, and how to use it. We do some dryland drills just picking a series of headings and having the students "walk" the course, following the compass. That familiarizes them with the equipment. Then we talk about the methods ... using the compass, using visual cues such as natural landmarks, current direction, and bottom topography. Then we talk about "mental mapping" techniques ... using depth, direction and distance to build a series of vectors that you string end-to-end to create a map in your head of where you are relative to where you started.

The navigation portion of the class involves two dives ... but these dives may be repeated as necessary. The first involves a series of flags planted on the bottom. The first flag is located at the bottom of the downline, and it contains a heading to the next flag, which contains a heading to the next flag, etc. There are a total of six flags ... the headings are randomized sufficient to not be a recognizeable pattern. The final one says, simply ... HOME. When you reach that point, the student's job is to make their way back to the downline where they started. They can do this either by reversing course (which is very inefficient) or ... having built that "mental map" ... by taking a direct route to where they think the downline is located. Many make it on the first try ... some need two or even three attempts. I have yet to have one need more than that.

Second dive is a mid-water navigation dive ... we're far enough off the bottom so that the students have no visual reference ... the entire dive is done at a constant depth (20 feet). The students are given a series of patterns ... square and triangular routes ... with headings and timed legs. One student gets the compass, the other gets the depth gauge and bottom timer. The objective is to complete the pattern by working together to maintain both a constant heading and a constant depth ... and a successful conclusion will bring them back to the downline. This dive is about way more than navigation, as it also teaches the importance of maintaining awareness of your surroundings as well as the notion that a good buddy team can accomplish more by working together. We do a minimum of three patterns ... but sometimes this dive requires several attempts to do it successfully. By the time the student achieves the objective, diving with visual references seems easy by comparison.

The majority of my students tell me that the first dive is the most fun dive of the class, while the second one is the most difficult ... but I guarantee you that by the time they're done, they have a pretty good idea how to find their way around down there ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Saspotato, I think you should update your profile. For some reason you list PADI Boat Diver but do not list you unnamed Agency Navigation Course. Did you pass? :wink:

halemanō;5292199:
Saspotato, I think you should update your profile. For some reason you list PADI Boat Diver but do not list you unnamed Agency Navigation Course. Did you pass? :wink:

It was part of my SSI AOW, which is listed. I passed.

I list PADI Boat Diver because I have a PADI Boat Diver certification. Got in a couple of weeks ago...

You know, Bob, one of these days, I need to go out and do that midwater nav dive again. That was one of the hardest things anybody has ever asked me to do in ANY of my classes. I'll take a 48 minute lights-out air-sharing exit from a cave over that midwater dive. That thing is wicked!

It was part of my SSI AOW, which is listed. I passed.

I list PADI Boat Diver because I have a PADI Boat Diver certification. Got in a couple of weeks ago...

Based on the logic that you list the PADI cert because you have the cert card, don't you also have an SSI Navigation cert card?

halemanō;5292281:
Based on the logic that you list the PADI cert because you have the cert card, don't you also have an SSI Navigation cert card?

No, I don't have an SSI Navigation cert card, it is listed on my AOW card with the other specialties I did towards AOW. Whilst I was doing the specialties I got little stickers for each specialty I did that were stuck on my SSI OW card.

This is a really good thread, you guys. Diving here in Southern California is all about navigation, and you have to take it seriously.

Fortunately, I had a very good instructor for the Nav class and we came away from that knowing how to do the skills.

Unfortunately, diving in kelp forests is not like diving a pre-planned grid or compass pattern. It's dozens of twists and turns, and where you go depends on what you find. With experience you begin to develop a general sense of where you are in relation to the boat. And sometimes, you are correct.

Deefstes, thanks for opening this thread.

You know, Bob, one of these days, I need to go out and do that midwater nav dive again. That was one of the hardest things anybody has ever asked me to do in ANY of my classes. I'll take a 48 minute lights-out air-sharing exit from a cave over that midwater dive. That thing is wicked!

Nowadays you'd wonder why you ever thought it was hard ... but now that I'm getting back into teaching, I plan to ask you to come along and help out with that class sometime ... :wink:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

My goodness!!!! Jim and Bob (Jim-Bob) are giving you a underwater navigation course!!!

And I would suggest that you take "underwater navigation" - doesn't matter what agency, or just being coached by a real mentor like Jim Lapenta or (Bob) NW Grateful Diver.

I would also emphasize, as another reader has, finding a safe place to dive and "navigate" around using your compass. Find your "stride" and mess with currents, etc. I do this regularly when I jetty dive at a place that my buddy and I hundreds of dives.

But I must warn you. When chasing a lingcod (or any fish) in current - you had better have a real clear idea of which way is what - taking a compass reading before you go down. Case in point was last weekend - I ended up, unknowingly, 3 times my normal distance, and navigated to the jetty - to a place I had never seen before (spooky), but by compass and later following the jetty back (in the correct direction), I came back, tired and hungry - ate the fellow for the next 3 days. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom