Underwater Moisturizer Devices

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike Harmon

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Have any of you experimented with any of the "underwater moisturizer devices" designed to relieve or eliminate dry mouth? There's the SCUDA water-bag system, which seems a little iffy to me. Then there's the Apollo Bio-Filter $200 regulator dongle which looks like a lot of pricey chrome-plated brass.

My wife has been complaining about extreme dry mouth (we are new divers), and now that she's heard that there are devices out there which are designed to solve the problem, she's chomping at the bit to check them out. (And I just got her talked out of buying a pair of Ocean Reef full-face masks with 2-way radios so we could talk instead of using hand signals!).

Anyway, I can see some potential problems with a device of this type. It seems like any water introduced into the LP hose could cause problems in the reg. The inline device looks like it would have a detrimental effect on air flow to the second stage, and if something came loose during a dive, the results could be deadly.

Am I being paranoid? Do these things work? Are they safe? Any advice is welcome.

Thanks,
Mike

I bought my wife a Bio Filter before our most recent trip, as she experiences dry mouth as well (we are breathing mostly Nitrox). She loved it. Didn't notice any effect on air flow whatsoever during 15 dives. I installed it and it seemed well designed and as unlikely to come loose as any hose connection into the first stage. shop around, you can get it for around $150. hardest part was remembering to refill it between dives.

When I'm at a 100 feet and drop through a 38 degree thermocline the last thing I want is moist air.

Just bring water with you for after the dive. With the money you save you can even afford to splurg for that high end vitamin water.

In the event you do not want to go the route of an aftermarket device and recognizing that each person is a little different and some things that work for one diver may not for the next diver, there are few things you might want to try: 1. Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate and hydrate some more (both before and after dives). You can't really hydrate enough and a lot of divers tend to be dehydrated. I have found the more I'm hydrated, the less likely any dry throat is to creep on during a dive (you also get the added benefit of reducing DCS risk by being properly hydrated). 2. Try to remember to swallow more regularly. It's easy to forget when you have a reg in your mouth and dry air is being delivered. Swallowing will coat the throat with saliva eliminating that dry feeling.

Good luck.

I hydrate like crazy but have problems with a dry mouth and throat 24/7.

I picked up the Apollo BioFilter from ScubaToys about 6 weeks ago and I've used it on 30 dives or so. It is FANTASTIC! My instructor thought it was a gimmick and gave me a hard time about it, but I LOVE IT!

No, I wouldn't use it in 38 degree water, but it's going to take one hell of a good reason to get me in water that cold anyway! :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom