Underwater Kinetics SL3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

calicant

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Has anyone bought one of these?

Two out of three I tried were faulty and the only review on amazon.com tells of one fail out of two bought. I'm not going to keep the one that works because I'll keep wondering when it's going to fail. It's a shame because it looks like a nice torch for the price.

Thats why I buy my gear at dive shop... Have had a couple.. Work pretty good, when they work out of the box... Ok as primary, might want to have a good back up just in case. Or go out and buy a real torch like big blue or something similar with rechargable battery and 500-1000 lumens.

I'm glad I bought from a dive shop too. I returned them for two Halcyon Scouts at treble the price. They work perfectly and look like they would survive precision bombing.

I'm glad I bought from a dive shop too. I returned them for two Halcyon Scouts at treble the price. They work perfectly and look like they would survive precision bombing.

So you spent about $300 for two backup lights?

Did you consider the Penetrator or similar lights (currently in the same price range or lower than the SL3)?

I never had any luck with the smaller (backup) lights that were made of plastic. They all leaked eventually.

I didn't see the Penetrator at our dive shop just the Scout.

I have had mine for about 6 or 7 months now and like it. I will admit that it did go back under warranty once. It developed a sweet spot to turn on that was less than a quarter turn. But if I tightened the head all the way it would turn off, so the sweet spot was somewhere in the middle.

It has been fine since I got it back. I use it as a backup at night and a primary during the day.

You described exactly the fault which we found with 2 out of the 3 we bought. Lets hope they assign someone a QC role at the factory.:wink:

I and several dive buddies have this light. All of our lights have flooded. However, UK's customer service and warranty are top notch. They replaced my light right away. They never even asked for proof of purchase or how the light flooded.

For the price, you can't beat the lumens this light puts out. However, because of the flooding issues I and my dive buddies have experienced, I do not strap two of these lights on to my harness as backup lights. Rather, I use one SL3 and one Salvo Rat light.

The first one flooded but the FREE replacement so far so good.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom